Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sociology and the Supercharger Nomad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
Technology often has unintended consequences, and a discussion in another thread about hypothetical future Tesla minibuses made me wonder if the Spuercharger network might eventually result in the creation of Nomadic people who roam around the world in Tesla vehicles and live off the free electricity.

Right now, the high cost of a Tesla is a barrier to entry of sorts, but what happens 20 or 30 years into the future? Imagine a world where EVs are no more expensive than ICEs are today, and where the secondary market is flooded with used Model S and X automobiles. These cars are built like tanks and their frames could last much longer than even your average Honda or Toyota. Bands of wandering people could buy these inexpensive Tesla cars and convert them for use in a new mobile lifestyle.

With Supercharging being "free for life" of the vehicle, it would be relatively easy to live off the grid. Teslas could be converted into small mobile homes, and groups of Teslas could form caravans of travelers. Getting to cold? Head south to Georgia or west to Arizona for the season. Need to run a TV or computer or osmotic water purifier? The huge battery has you covered. How will Tesla Motors cope with the rise of Nomads and Nomadic use of Tesla assets? How will normal society cope if the Supercharger networks become clogged with roving bands of Tuskan Sand People, Jawas, and Crazy Old Wizards? I think Tesla's "secret plan" will win, but I think the Supercharger network will bring some surprises to out civilization.

I think that is interesting to speculate on. Imagine Tesla RVs 10 years from now with batteries twice the capacity of what we have now and more efficient moveable PV panels on the roof for daytime charging . Even if Supercharging is no longer free it seems possible that one could easily live in such a vehicle relatively inexpensively compared to a fixed dwelling. And if your work can be done online from anywhere (which is possible for increasing numbers of people right now) think of the possibilities. You could have a rack on the back for your electric scooter. You could fill up with water as needed at "water stations".

What about laundry? Or food? Or showers?
Those aren't free on the road

In my opinion, we won't be seeing too many nomads in Teslas traveling the country

I asked myself the question: what is the root of life? The answer is available energy. Available electrical energy makes sanitation possible. It makes work possible. As ecarfan points out, If I can write software from a notebook computer and send it to a client over an LTE network, I can earn money anywhere. People can also earn money by collecting scrap metal for recycling and doing seasonal work in tourism and agriculture.

From a practical standpoint, laundry can be done at a laundromat. Showers are available at gyms and YMCAs. Some people are just fine with swimming in a pool and being sanitized by chlorinated water.

Humans are surprisingly good at adapting. The nomadic life isn't for everyone. However, it would take only a relatively small % of the population that (1) wants this life and (2) is able to live off the free Supercharger network, to cause major headaches for non-Nomads. Tesla needs to have a contingency plan, or at least have people thinking about the problem now, instead of 25 years in the future. If people are irritated with being ICE'd today, think of how mad customers would get if a Supercharger station was completely occupied by a camping caravan of Nomads in used/modded Model Xs in the year 2035.