Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Softer Ride Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that Tesla will do something regarding the ride quality in the future. Different springs, shocks, wheels, or air suspension or some combination of them. I think that changing shocks and wheel sizes and tires would be the least expensive. Whatever they decide I think it will work. Compared to the other engineering issues they deal with I think it will be pretty straightforward.

Reading all the complaints about the Model Y ride harshness had me a little concerned before I bought one. I picked up a 2021 Model Y LR today with 19" wheels and the ride is fine. Can't speak to the Performance version ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm sure the rural roads in Andrews, TX are totally different than the aging, uneven concrete slabs in the DFW region. Harsh doesn't begin to describe it in some areas.

Knowing Bilsteins ( several after market VAG applications), and IF they're supplying Tesla with shocks/struts, I'm not surprised that the ride in the MY is harsh. I also have experienced a bit of relaxing/softening of the ride in previous cars. Maybe it'll be the same in the Tesla???

If you live in areas with rough roads and want a comfortable ride this what to look for. A car or suv with 55 aspect ratio or greater tire sidewalls, adaptive suspension, air suspension, decent ground clearance-travel and set up for comfort vs sport. Typical Lexus for example. Lots of manufacturers offer this and Tesla could too. I think that Teslas have more power and torque and the company chooses to offer a more sporty firm ride out of precaution. This is not a criticism just an observation. Power and softer suspension don't mix well if the suspension does not have adaptive settings. I have a BMW 640 GT which rides on the same platform as the 7 series and they are big heavy cars. It has all the above features and the sport vs comfort mode are like two different cars due to the adaptive and air suspension. I had to replace the run flat tires with 18" wheels and tires from a base BMW 740 energy though. Their 19" and 20" run flat tires are harsher than any Tesla and crack easily. BMW had a big class action suit on this. In any case the wheels and tires Tesla specs out on the Y are in sport car territory.

skiwhmts: Interesting post, which I agree with. However, the cost of an adaptive system, and the space required, would chip away at Tesla's bottom line. Now that the Y is such a marketing success, I hope we'll be seeing adaptive suspensions in future models.
Until then, we have to contend with claims from aftermarket companies about THEIR engineering attempts to solve the harshness issue.

I'm sure the rural roads in Andrews, TX are totally different than the aging, uneven concrete slabs in the DFW region. Harsh doesn't begin to describe it in some areas.

Knowing Bilsteins ( several after market VAG applications), and IF they're supplying Tesla with shocks/struts, I'm not surprised that the ride in the MY is harsh. I also have experienced a bit of relaxing/softening of the ride in previous cars. Maybe it'll be the same in the Tesla???

This is oil country and the roads here take a beating, but potholes are the biggest obstacle. I only have 361 miles on the Y thus far (From San Antonio to Andrews), part of the ride home took me through 5 miles of unpaved rough road between Ozona and Big Lake and the Y did fine.

Justicepool. Thanks for the clarification. I guess ride comfort will always be a personal choice.;)

For sure, completely subjective. And I do only have a short drive in it thus far, maybe its because I was expecting something so very harsh that I was pleasantly surprised. I do care about ride quality. With my 2020 Model X Performance I went with the smaller wheels and just powder coated them black. The larger wheels definitely looked better, but the ride quality and potholes dictated the smaller wheel for me.

19s and Mountain Pass comfort coilovers completely
transformed my PUP’s ride quality in a good way. There is hope.
3E5AE8E7-D55A-45D0-A507-4BECBB69A29B.jpeg
258AD5B9-E0D9-47AF-BF87-60C224A05A2B.jpeg
275F86BC-9952-4371-AE86-A7F62835F1C1.jpeg

Our coilovers will be announced soon! We have been developing them since we got our Y and are finally happy with the ride quality.
I see the Model Y already has a few options out now, they are quite easy to fit too, especially the rears.
Typically the Shocks are preset to the existing height and weight config, most people lower by 1-2cm and set the damping to ¼.
Prices are around 1600-2300 + fitting.

I think its just a matter of time before Tesla offers a factory solution. Every well done review has noted the stiff suspension vs the competition. Either an air or adjustable suspension will do it. I think once they finish their factories you will see this. My guess is within the next year as Tesla moves fast. I am waiting as I don't have a pressing need for a new car now. If not buy a Y now and trade it in later for a new model with improved suspension. It's still a great car.