Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick impressions of a 2023 Model X test drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the exact opposite experience and after the test drive, I immediately placed my order. Coming from a MYP, the MXP on 20's was a dream to drive on the crappy pot hole ridden roads in Nashville. The suspension was smooth and handled both small and large bumps without any jarring effects compared to the MYP and M3P that I previously owned.
Agree re: the refreshed units.

My Ultra Red Vehicle drives superbly, fit/finish is now very high quality (both versus my 103K White X & particularly versus my original 3K Blue X), is very quiet, has a great sound system (easily handles my 10K+ USB song list), has a much better GUI software than Models 3 & Y, has very good center console storage, fits and charges my Pro Max 13 (wirelessly charging my doesn't work on my wife's Y) and the new look is superb.

Originally, I was leery about lack of stalks & the lack of a steering wheel.

However, with a steering wheel now available, I have grown to appreciate the missing stalks & have found screen selection of drive direction to be very easy to use. My hand positioning on the steering wheel has also make turn signal selection easy too. I only wish the horn was found in the center versus the right side haptic selection.

Also, Tesla has tweaked the hardware/software so that the vehicle accelerates much better than previous generations (is not herky-jerky) and is very close to the Model Y's great standard. Although originally disappointed that there was no longer a "creep" function I find that it actually drives better without it. Finally, put me in the camp that is glad that the front doors no longer open fully wide (much safer in parking lots, street parking, etc.) whereby in the past an automatic door opening was dangerous or damaging to your or the adjacent vehicle.

FWIW: The current price reductions (damn, I missed the price decreases by 10 days) makes this a very compelling vehicle and is much better than what Audi, Mercedes, Rivian, BMW has to offer.

I got it a full wrap/coatings/ right away and plan on keeping this for quite some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: N2B8
I had the exact opposite experience and after the test drive, I immediately placed my order. Coming from a MYP, the MXP on 20's was a dream to drive on the crappy pot hole ridden roads in Nashville. The suspension was smooth and handled both small and large bumps without any jarring effects compared to the MYP and M3P that I previously owned.
Right. I may have to do another test drive, especially with the recent price drops. I was at the service center today to drop off my car for service, and sat in the showroom Model X. Seemed comfortable for the 3 minutes I was in it, but ...Would need a long ride to be sure. (The joint was jumping, lots of deliveries today, but seemed like most were Model 3 and Y.)

I placed an order for X yesterday. Tesla no longer charges extra on the exterior color. A $7.5K Tax credit pushed me over to replace 2019MX 100D. figured saving money on new tires, which will be due next year, then the referral 500 bucks off makes it a somewhat worthy purchase. Besides I had a lot service appointments on the 2019 MX 100D towards the end of 4-year warranty. Worried about what else can go wrong now that I am out of warranty.

Reactions: X Fan
Can’t beat the recent price drops but I might wait a wee bit longer. Rumors (e.g. Teslascope) have indicated a minor S/X refresh before the end of this year to include things like ambient lighting and possibly the new blind spot indicator. That combined with the new lower pricing is hard to beat.

Reactions: X Fan
Not unusual that comparing a brand new vehicle to an 8-9 year old version will feel firmer. Both seats and coil suspensions will sag and soften over time.
I moved from a 2019 X to a 2022 X and it is a significantly better car all round. Faster and more capable computer, faster Supercharging, longer range, more adaptable air suspension, improved tires, heated and ventilated perforated seats, dual pane glass, hidden air vents, better door sealing, swivel display, rear display, improved brakes, etc. Have a far different impression than the OP. The X even raises it's suspension automatically when going over uneven construction roadways, and lowers back down after resuming smooth pavement.
Granted, I did not cross shop the offerings from Merceded and Audi as they offer little in the way of on highway high speed charging systems. Thought their pricing was not competitive with the X. Germans, as well as Lexus provide kind of an isolation chamber quiet effect that is different from the X. I noticed the German cars are much heavier than comparable Tesla, Perhaps it is the hundreds of pounds of extra insulation they install to create the "quiet"
My price was the same as current pricing...$79,995.
Compared to the German offerings it was a far better value. With the current $7,500 Federal Tax Credit and $500 self referring fee it seems to be a relative value, including comparing it to the current pricing on the Model Y.

I understand that people can find fault with most any vehicle, and also that the X is not for everybody, but for me, it has been a constant source of joy and pleasure. Wonderful car to own and drive.

Last edited:
They will redo it somehow, as they won't drop the 'flagship suv'. By stopping right hand sales, it means they don't have enough faith in it, to mass produce it, in current form. Something newer/cheaper is coming.

When you test drive the Y and park next to the new X, you have to ask... is the X REALLY worth DOUBLE? is it worth more, yes. DOUBLE? Hell. No. I'd pay $80 for a new X, but 100, ain't gonna happen. They either need to make it appear to be worth 100, or just cut it to 80k. the Y is fine value for money. Add air suspension and make it 10% bigger and charge $75 for that.
Your wish is their command. They just reduced the price to $80K. Qualifies for $7,500 tax credit plus $500 self referral. Also qualifies for Section 179 Business tax credit and accelerated depreciation. A financial no brainer.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
I also came from an older Model S and have owned several X’s and have never had one with a harsh ride. My current 2020 X is like a cloud. Drove a 2023 yesterday and it was even better. You might have had bigger wheels and low profile tires and suspension might been set to very low 🤷‍♀️ The X has an amazing ride. Give it another chance.
I may just do that. I have enjoyed my test drives in the Audi eTron more than any others I have tried, but the car is heavy and inefficient, so I would feel a bit guilty about dragging around so much weight to run a local errand. But my number one goal is greater comfort. My aging, arthritic body is tired of the low seating position in my Model S, the hard ride, and the lousy seats. Which is why I was so dismayed when I test drove the Y and the X. Both seemed not to be much better than my aging Model S. As to weight, the Model X is only a bit lighter than the eTron. The difference may be partly the use of aluminum vs steel in the Tesla for most of the body parts. But the use of aluminum has been blamed for higher costs for collision insurance because of the higher repair cost, so the net advantage is modest at best.

Frankly, even though some other cars are more comfortable and maybe more economical, I hate to give up the Tesla ecosystem (to use a term I really don't care for, but it works). One thing that would be tough to give up is Tesla's software, though. And by that I include the entertainment system. Even though it is something of an advantage to have the use of Android Auto in competing brands, I don't relish the idea of having to use my phone to access streaming music, podcasts, etc. But again, that change might just take some time to get used to it. The Tesla cellphone app seems to be better than what I hear about the apps for other brands (many many complaints about Audi's.)

Another thing is Tesla service. I have always had good experience with Tesla service. Just yesterday, I had to leave my car for service because it would not charge. The service desk people could not have been more accommodating and helpful, even though had no appointment and the place was busy. I know that there are many posts on social media about bad experiences with Tesla service, and communicating with them is frustrating. But I have had both good service and poor service with other brands of cars, too. (One bias for me is that I am only about 2 miles from a Tesla service center, which is a big advantage at times.)
Anyway, sorry to ramble. You can see my dilemma! I think the only solution is to get busy and do more test drives, and narrow the options. Thanks for the inputs!

Don’t buy the Audi just yet anyway. My neighbor bought one a few months ago and yes its gorgeous but it has so many issues. Stick with an X for a few more years then the Audi’s will hopefully be better.
Although I appreciate the caution, it is risky to relay on anecdotes about individual experiences, either pro or con. I have been keeping an eye on an Audi forum, and it is like this one -- a mix of happy owners and ones with stories of horrible experiences.
As for "few more years," I do not have an X now, I have an S, and it will reach its 8-year point in 2 weeks, so I do not to wait much longer to replace it, and I do want a more upright seating position. Model Y was perfect in terms of size and price, but just not comfortable enough. I think I will look next at the Genesis -- uniformly very good reviews. I tried the MB EQE SUV also, was not fully happy, but probably will try again. (EQS is too pricey.)
There is another thread on here with lots of complaints about vibrations and harshness in the Model X ride, which the service centers seem reluctant or unable to fix. That kind of issue would give me nightmares after spending $80K or more. My sense is that the Ravens were less prone to these issues, but that might be just reliance on the wrong set of anecdotes! (Plus good used ravens seem rather scarce right now.)

Your wish is their command. They just reduced the price to $80K. Qualifies for $7,500 tax credit plus $500 self referral. Also qualifies for Section 179 Business tax credit and accelerated depreciation. A financial no brainer.
Agreed and was $1000 S/X Loyalty just the other day when I ordered on 9/4. $1k applied on order agreement confirmation. ;)

After 5+ years of lightly modified Model 3 life on 19" aftermarket wheels and tires, the 23' X LR rode like a dream IMO. One test drive was all it took for me.... recently also test drove Polestar 2's, Fisker Ocean, Cadillac Lyriq and none compare to the new X IMO in tech, performance, ride quality or features.

Considering this config was $40k+ MORE in Jan. was enough to be spontaneous!

IMG-9430.PNG

Attachments

• IMG-9434.jpg
    IMG-9434.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Model X 2023 Price Cuts.jpg
    Model X 2023 Price Cuts.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: theslimshadyist
Agreed and was $1000 S/X Loyalty just the other day when I ordered on 9/4. $1k applied on order agreement confirmation. ;)

After 5+ years of lightly modified Model 3 life on 19" aftermarket wheels and tires, the 23' X LR rode like a dream IMO. One test drive was all it took for me.... recently also test drove Polestar 2's, Fisker Ocean, Cadillac Lyriq and none compare to the new X IMO in tech, performance, ride quality or features.

Considering this config was $40k+ MORE in Jan. was enough to be spontaneous!

View attachment 972472
Yes I thought the ride of the X was pretty great. Fit and finish for the most part seemed fine. The car itself looks great. I think its probably a good value around 72.5K unless of course the price drops again or the car gets discontinued etc. How did you find the lack of sensors for parking etc compared to your Model 3?

Yes I thought the ride of the X was pretty great. Fit and finish for the most part seemed fine. The car itself looks great. I think its probably a good value around 72.5K unless of course the price drops again or the car gets discontinued etc. How did you find the lack of sensors for parking etc compared to your Model 3?

Absolutely.... at the low $70k range, considering the Federal Credit ($7500) and Tesla Loyalty incentive ($1k...now $500) the X LR has great value for their flagship lineup. The one I drove was also riding on the optional ($5500) 22" wheels and I was really surprised how soft it felt, 20's must really be a dream, but I'm guessing a little less responsive/sporty (more efficient).

As far as the missing USS's, I turned off the parking tone on my 3 years ago, its really annoying in a drive-thu or similar tight situations where it just keeps going crazy. So I still see the obstructions and measured distances on my display without all the drama. On top of that I'm very comfortable and aware of the vehicles shape/size and always back in (tilt down mirrors) anywhere I park using the cameras so sensors or not I honestly don't think I'll care either way. The new X are being built with a new HD radar using, what and when it might be used is yet to be seen.

As far as the current limitation on auto opening the X doors it is a minor temporary problem but I'm confident it'll get sorted out just like the HW4 stuff.

Good news on the "IF" price drops is that Tesla has been good with honoring any drop BEFORE you take delivery. Just saw a report from the other day of an X ordered back in June and just took delivery with the price auto adjusted by Tesla. After delivery you're SOL.

Absolutely.... at the low $70k range, considering the Federal Credit ($7500) and Tesla Loyalty incentive ($1k...now $500) the X LR has great value for their flagship lineup. The one I drove was also riding on the optional ($5500) 22" wheels and I was really surprised how soft it felt, 20's must really be a dream, but I'm guessing a little less responsive/sporty (more efficient).

As far as the missing USS's, I turned off the parking tone on my 3 years ago, its really annoying in a drive-thu or similar tight situations where it just keeps going crazy. So I still see the obstructions and measured distances on my display without all the drama. On top of that I'm very comfortable and aware of the vehicles shape/size and always back in (tilt down mirrors) anywhere I park using the cameras so sensors or not I honestly don't think I'll care either way. The new X are being built with a new HD radar using, what and when it might be used is yet to be seen.

As far as the current limitation on auto opening the X doors it is a minor temporary problem but I'm confident it'll get sorted out just like the HW4 stuff.

Good news on the "IF" price drops is that Tesla has been good with honoring any drop BEFORE you take delivery. Just saw a report from the other day of an X ordered back in June and just took delivery with the price auto adjusted by Tesla. After delivery you're SOL.
Nice so does this mean those sensors in HW4 equipped X can be used for park assist as well or just autopilot?

This is true even if you’ve already completed payment and haven’t taken delivery.