Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, we double checked all nuts and links. not an issue from those. The noise does not appear all time and is not very loud. The seller told me to let the suspension settle a couple of days but I am not sure how it will went away just like that. I have also taken some picture of the front springs and to spirals which are very close to each other and there are clearly marks of ripped paint because are touching themselves.

Another big issue I have noticed: inside dampers box there was a manual for installation and setting up the adjustment knob where it was completely wrong.
On youtube, everyone are going counterclockwise being the softest position and from there you start the counting clockwise to desired position while the manual it was saying to go full clockwise and then count to desired position counterclockwise! I removed the rear dampers and pushed them down and youtube version was correct. This is a very unfortunate error from UPP.

Actually the manual was explaining in the exact way as adjustable Tein EnduraProplus which also are identical in term of psysical dimensions (!) which even UPP acknowledged that is true. Before this setup I had for 2 months the EnduraPro Plus with OEM springs (MY Performance 2023) and I was expected a more increase in confort but unfortunately I was dissapointed. The mild springs from UPP are smoothing out only very small bumps or small imperfections but going over potholes or speedbumps is worse than Tein combination with OEM springs and somewhat similar to original tesla suspension.

I wrote about all issues via support UPP email address but they are replying very slow or not at all!
One possible solution might be to install thrust bearings. Might help at the extremes where the suspension is twisting the most.

One possible solution might be to install thrust bearings. Might help at the extremes where the suspension is twisting the most.
Then why UPP didn't provide in the package those thrust bearing? They are cheap actually or at least they could mention about them because I am not happy to pay hundreds bucks at service shop to have them dissasembled several times just to make them work properly. However, this won't fix the clattering noise over some bumps that I start to hear after to days of installation. I'm already regretting this because the previous setup (tein enduraPro+ with oem springs) was softer than luxury suspension kit with their mild springs and I am thinking to go back to it or the new Flex z coilovers that are supposed to have the issues fixed, there is a new part specifically for 3/Y performance 2022+ only.
I don't want to lower the car and my goal is obtain a good compromise between comfort and sport with more accent on comfort. And definitely you don't get this with UPP setup

I'm planning on getting Konis from TireRack. However, I checked with them and they don't have any installers who work on Teslas in the San Francisco Bay Area.
  • They recommended talking to Tesla. Has anyone used Tesla to install third party shocks?
  • Anyone know anyone in the Bay Area? LA? (I need a good reason to go to LA.)

I'm planning on getting Konis from TireRack. However, I checked with them and they don't have any installers who work on Teslas in the San Francisco Bay Area.
  • They recommended talking to Tesla. Has anyone used Tesla to install third party shocks?
  • Anyone know anyone in the Bay Area? LA? (I need a good reason to go to LA.)
I doubt Tesla would install aftermarket shocks, but I guess it doesn't hurt to check.

Jesse at MPP told me that the Model Y's suspension setup is very similar to an Audi A4 and shops that work on European cars should have no issues installing suspension parts. I had a shop that specialized in European car repairs do my installation, although they actually advertise that they work on Tesla as well.

Okay, so I just got the Koni Special Active shocks installed the other day. So as the OP, thought I would come back and give my feedback to anyone else who is looking into doing the same.

Background
I come from an Audi and BMW background and have had coilovers with Koni Yellow's in them for past 3 cars, which I installed myself. So I am a big Koni fan and somewhat comfortable working with the suspension components.

Model Y
I just got my 24 MYLR a month ago, and you can imagine how unsatisfied I was with the stock ride. My wife and I want to do a few long trips a year and were looking for the best ride without spending a whole lot of money since we will keep this for only 2 years.

Expectations
Just wanted to get the best ride quality without getting into coilovers, which would cost more for a 2-year setup that I will reverse before selling. Though I like occasional spirited driving, road-holding, and the highway ride were the absolute main focus here.

Koni Special Active (Red)
After a bit of research, I figured these would be the best suited for me since I don't want to deal with changing the ride height, getting new alignments, and every other complication that comes after getting a more aggressive setup. I have test-driven an M3 Highland that supposedly has these types of shocks and loved the ride. I was able to get these from Tire Rack for under $600 USD and had them free delivered within three days.

Install
I have installed coilovers before in the past German cars, and they went fairly well. Strangely, they did not require spring compressors for the front, unlike here. I only had hand tools and rented a spring compressor along with a torque wrench. Already had my two floor jacks with two jack stands handy.

The backs were super easy to do, just have to be careful with the loosening of top hats. Then disassembling the fronts went fairly as well. However, using the spring compressor by hand with a socket wrench added extra stress and time to the installation, but I had no choice.

Putting back the front top hats took me a few tries since they have to be aligned to go into the mount by the time the spring is decompressed. Torqued everything to spec.

Okay, now the important part:

How do they feel?
So I am running a few PSI under the recommended and I did not cut any of the bump stops (I do not believe in cutting bump stops from my experience, should replace them with shorter, whole ones if they are too long).

Right away the car feel softer. Felt more 'normal', not busy bouncing up and down as on a ballon. It does not ride as soft as the M3 Highland however, I am guessing that has softer springs? In my case, it is not a bad thing. Constant drumming in the back is gone.

The biggest surprise here, for me at least, is the handling. It has significantly less lean on corners now. Same thing with squat, less. Makes you want to keep pushing the car. I did not expect this difference from just the shocks.

Here is something I have not seen anyone else mention: The steering response is a bit altered now. It feels less 'video game' like now. Off-center, it feels slower, at least in sensation. This was very welcome since I thought it was too fast to get the feel of the car, off-center.

Cons?
Since these are two-stage dampeners (to my knowledge), I feel the softer part could be a little less soft, when it comes to this car? For small ups and downs, there could be a bit more dampening? I feel there is still a bit of harshness coming into the cabin for those types of small movements. Maybe this is a weakness on the chassis side also? I can also imagine going with Koni Yellows and adjusting the shocks accordingly - but that's too much of a hassle for me at this point. Also, I am being overly nit picky here.

Overall, I am very satisfied with them so far. I have not done a long highway run yet, however. Again, if I kept this MY for a longer period, I would have done full-on comfort coilovers or springs with shocks that include Koni Yellows at least.

I hope this becomes helpful for someone who is into upgrading the shocks for the same purpose.

(Special thanks to hecklerandcoke)

Last edited:
I hope OP hasn't reused them!

One time nuts are made to crush the threads at the specified torque. After that one time they should be considered done for duty not reused with loctite.

Yes, the UCM nut and the stabilizer bar nut for the front have to be replaced

Nyloc nuts for the top of the strut, Koni's come with them...

Yes, the UCM nut and the stabilizer bar nut for the front have to be replaced

Nyloc nuts for the top of the strut, Koni's come with them...
Thanks! First I've heard of threads crushing nuts. I've heard of one time use torque to yield bolts.

I'll investigate and replace properly.

One other note about Koni Special Active shocks and tire PSI:

I had the PSI lowered to 38-ish since the recommended 42 was unbearable with the factory shocks - constant drumming in the back.

With these shocks, I noticed that it's the opposite. When inflated back up to 42 PSI seems to ride better and solve some of the cons I mentioned in the previous post. Interesting...

Reactions: ovidiux and EVChris
One other note about Koni Special Active shocks and tire PSI:

I had the PSI lowered to 38-ish since the recommended 42 was unbearable with the factory shocks - constant drumming in the back.

With these shocks, I noticed that it's the opposite. When inflated back up to 42 PSI seems to ride better and solve some of the cons I mentioned in the previous post. Interesting...
This is correct! The internal valve of Koni reacts faster when tires are at recommended pressure.
I think I will switch to koni shocks as well but not the series. In Germany there is a company named Reber that have an exclusive contract with Koni manufacturer for a softer variant of these and also exclusive softer springs from Votgland (dual rate I guess). I think I will order them soon for a friend to see how they feel and I might pull the trigger as well.

Reactions: TGuy2024
Here ya go
..'Bumpstops are carefully tuned for use with Dinan springs.'

Any more longer term comments on your Koni Special Active shocks?
Loving them so far. Everyone who rides in it now says it's much smoother. Still surprised by the added handling improvements, which I did not want and asked for anyway.

Unless you want to spend over $15000 for coilovers, I think this is the best way to get a better ride. Please feel free to reach out to me for any specific questions.