Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

software update didn't happen overnight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
last night I got a notification in the car and the app that an update was ready, so I scheduled it for 2am. this morning, instead of an update that the update was complete, it's still scheduled for Tuesday at 2am according to the app. has anyone else seen this happen? am I safe to just run it now?

Just curious, why did you schedule the update at 2am? Why not just run it right away when you get the notification on your app? Unless you are driving of course :)
Updates default to installing overnight for good reason. It could take up to an hour during which time you can’t use the car. Even more importantly, it avoids the temptation of you “checking on” the update and screwing it up by doing so— even by doing something as simple as opening a door. It’s like updating the OS on a computer— you wouldn’t do it during the day immediately when you get a message that an update is available, you wait for a time when you plan to be away from the computer for a long time.

Reactions: crackers8199
Updates default to installing overnight for good reason. It could take up to an hour during which time you can’t use the car. Even more importantly, it avoids the temptation of you “checking on” the update and screwing it up by doing so— even by doing something as simple as opening a door. It’s like updating the OS on a computer— you wouldn’t do it during the day immediately when you get a message that an update is available, you wait for a time when you plan to be away from the computer for a long time.

this, mainly the first sentence. didn't want to not be able to use the car for the rest of the night (wasn't planning on going anywhere, but just in case)...

just thought it was strange that it didn't run at the scheduled time. that was the first time i've seen that happen...and it's not even that it was scheduled after midnight or something strange like that - it still says "scheduled for tuesday at 2am" in the app. it just didn't run for whatever reason...

The same thing just happened to me. I have been using 2019.24.4. The car notified me an update was available and offered to install it overnight, at 2:00 am on Thursday. I accepted. When I got into the car the next morning, no update had been installed. In the evening, the car display's "software update" panel displayed "downloading software" with a solid green bar (like a completed progress bar). Two hours later that had not changed. I didn't seen any option in the car for actually starting the update. The phone still showed the update as being scheduled for 2:00 on Thursday, but also offered to start the update right away, which I did. A two minute timer started. When I touched the timer, it reset to 0:01 then immediately started.

Oddly, 13 minutes later, my phone notified me the the upgrade was beginning. Maybe it had spent all that time downloading files? Anyway, it's now finished, and I have 2019.28.3.1. I'd like to know why the scheduled update didn't happen, though. The car was sitting in the garage, with the same connectivity, both evenings. Actually I would appreciate more transparency in the update process. I wish it would tell me what version was available, notify me when it had downloaded the update and authenticated it, and then let me authorize or schedule the actual installation, and finally notify me when the update is complete. It would be nice if I could browse through the release notes before authorizing the installation.