TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Solar For Dummies...Please!!

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Dan Detweiler, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

OK, this solar roof and Powerwall combination announcement has me totally fascinated. I have absolutely no knowledge of how a system like this would work nor whether I could go completely off the grid with something like this. I did check my last month's electric bill and it says I used 1167 (watts I assume?). Last month was almost 2000. I am currently charging a Chevy Volt every night and I live in Georgia. I am also a Model 3 reservation holder. Would there be authorized installers in my are in the next few years?

Any help understanding how this system might work for me? Would it be possible to go off the grid completely with something like this (I hate utility companies)? Please be kind...I have absolutely no knowledge of solar energy other than it comes from that big yellow thing in the sky!.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

2. larmor

larmor Active Member

I'm responding to keep track of this thread. I also want to know how it would work out. I had priced 10 kw solar systems in the past year and prices were around 30k...

3. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Active Member

$3/W is about normal outside CA and other mature markets, you can get $2.75 relatively easily though.

energysage.com is a good starting point for info.

• Informative x 2