Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Output - what does yours put out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand all the posts thinking this information is not valuable due to all the possible variables. I too am curious to compare if my system is performing reasonably and how others are performing, accounting for some of the bigger variables, and with enough data, the small variables could sort of get averaged out. If, as an example, someone posts they have a 4KW system in the far north and all their panels are on the north side yet they end up getting more production than I am with my 4KW system in a lower latitude with S facing array, that might cause me to take a closer look at my system.

I also don't understand why total number of panels/tiles matters at all (other than knowing the distribution of array directions). What is most relevant for comparison is the total nameplate system power rating which can then be normalized to other sizes. If someone has a 16kW system and they peak at say 14kW to take an example, then if their other variables are similar to mine, I'd expect to see about 3.5kW peak on my 4kW system. Granted, there are different inverter sizing and AC/DC ratios and efficiencies and whatnot, but those should be relatively close and with enough data, effects would be averaged out. We're just looking for a rough relative comparison here, not a super precise down to the last 1% error comparison. I still feel like it could have some value for folks.

So, I think the most important variables that would be useful for comparison is to give the total system size in kW, the directions of the arrays, any other big contributors that might impact production (ie. significant shading), and rough geographic location.

That said, here's my info (I don't have precise data because I'm having problems getting data to show up in the app, been on the phone with support every day for the last few days and they aren't sure what's going on and have escalated to level 2, but will take a few days to get back to me):

System size: 4.08kW
Peak power: ~3.2kW (so far when I logged into the inverter on a sunny June day around 1pm solar noon)
Peak production: ??? kWh (at least looking at rough online PGE data from the first day I had the system running, I estimate about 22kWh)
Array config: 6 panels south facing, 6 panels west facing, no shade

I'm curious if my numbers seem reasonable because unfortunately, Tesla decided to connect both S and W arrays in parallel down to the inverter to save 2 wires =(. I can't tell if maybe one panel in one of the arrays is bad or not because now both are in parallel, but the Voc seems a bit low, about 225V in pure noon-time sun, while the panel specs and system design rating say it should be 266V, and the Vmp when it was getting that 3.2kW was around 170V when the panel specs and system design rating say it should be closer to 205V. It's as if perhaps one or both strings are only seeing 5 panels in series instead of 6.