Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar panel project backlog in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My project (solar panel + powerwall) received the permit from the township more than 3 weeks ago. The project has not submitted to my utility company yet. My project has been sitting in Telsa's queue for 3 weeks and I was told that there is an internal backlog for the NJ area.

I was wondering anyone having the same problem? Is there a way I can do to speed up the process? I am afraid that my project will not be installed by the end of the year and I won't be able to pay the project and receive the 26% Fed tax credit. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

You and thousands of other people are trying to get this done by the end of the year. There is no surprise that there is a backlog.

At this date, I think you should plan on getting the 22% tax credit next year. We started in October 2019 knowing we would miss the 30% tax credit for 2019 but ensuring we would get the 26% tax credit for 2020. They started the install in March 2020 and finished in April.

We knew people who placed orders in October of 2019 and had not been able to get their systems installed until ended of Q1 2020 due to year end ITC rush, insufficient inventory of PowerWalls, not enough teams to meet the install demand and of course the winter weather factoring in for scheduling.

We placed our reservation first week of January 2020 and didn’t get our solar/PWs installed until August/September with PTO here in California not granted until very end of October. Very sobering timeline lengthened by covid, wildfire season and Utility companies’ power safety shutoffs here on the west coast impacting the demand; but the popularity of solar and Tesla’s products, difficulty providing enough inventory and increasing the number of teams for installations seems like a yearly problem. Weather will always be a factor. Hopefully solar and battery storage will continue to be incentivized but hard to say. Anyone who wants to get in on the last year of planned federal incentives should get in line now for 2021.

How fast you move forward will depend on those factors and your locale. They’ve been hiring and training more people but as we’ve come to understand for PWs, they can’t produce enough of them to meet demand for Tesla and it’s certified third party installers. Since maybe late summer third-party companies and customers in general have been told equipment might not be available until Q1 2021. Sorry No real way to jump in front of anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: jboy210
at this rate as long as they get it installed it should be perfectly fine... we are installed and have been for well over a month. But due to slow downs with the city and stupid plan revision issues, we have still not had final inspections... at this rate it will be December lol before we get PTO...

I'm working on an installation in NJ as well. My town took 10 weeks to issue the permit Dec. 8th. Our utility provider will turn around the application quick then we will schedule the installation. They have a few open days left in December. The hard part will be getting the town to inspect and approve. It'll be a miracle before Jan. 1st but giving it a try. I suggest working with your Tesla project manager. I've made calls and forwarded info to them to help expedite.

I would like to report that my tesla solar panels and powerwall 2 have been installed. The original schedule installation date was canceled because of the snowstorm 2 weeks ago. But fortunately, Tesla was able to arrange the installation by the end of the year. Now, we are waiting for the inspection and final approval from the utility company so we can start using the system.

I did constantly keep in touch with my project manager at Tesla, and contact the township, and the utility company to make sure the process not delayed.

I really appreciate people who shared their experiences.

Reactions: SMAlset
I would like to report that my tesla solar panels and powerwall 2 have been installed. The original schedule installation date was canceled because of the snowstorm 2 weeks ago. But fortunately, Tesla was able to arrange the installation by the end of the year. Now, we are waiting for the inspection and final approval from the utility company so we can start using the system.

I did constantly keep in touch with my project manager at Tesla, and contact the township, and the utility company to make sure the process not delayed.

I really appreciate people who shared their experiences.
As I understand it, the newly passed Covid-19 relief package extends the 26% tax credits through 2022, so at least you will not lose that if the takes beyond the end of the year.

Congress Passes Spending Bill With Solar, Wind Tax Credit Extensions and Energy R&D Package