Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar panels in Asheville, NC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once you get moved in, call the local PV installers in your area and get quotes. I installed my first in 2008 when only 200 watt panels were available. In 2019, I replaced them all with 370's. Now there are 400's. Get the highest capacity possible so you installed the lowest number of panels possible. This leaves you more geography/space to add more later to increase.

Ask for an inverter that has an EV charging option too. Such as Solaredge, it has a model that has an EV charging option.
And I would encourage you to request an inverter that is larger than your requirements. Example Solaredge 5,000, get the 7500 or 10000. Get more than you need. Will make adding more panels later cheaper as your inverter will already have the capacity.

And try to get it done this year before the 22% tax credit falls. And if you are doing batteries/energy storage at same time as panels, the battery system gets the tax credit too. Try to get all you can get installed this year. Batteries added later are a struggle to get IRS tax credit. You can also add 1 or 2 min PV panels later to qualify for tax credit on batteries if need be. Sounds sneaky but works.

I have two parallel systems. One earns me credit at the utility. The other has Powerwalls and charges them during the day. The house runs from the Powerwalls at night. Both systems have Solaredge inverters with EV charging. The extra power made during the day is used directly from the panels to charge the car. Only need one, but nice to have a back up. And a 50 amp circuit for charging.

Does N.C, have Net Metering Agreements so you can make juice during the day for credit, so you can buy/use it back at night when you charge?

I'm moving to Asheville, NC and want to install solar panels on my house to charge my Tesla. Who has researched the most economical way to do this? TIA!

This is a lot like asking:

"Hello I am buying a new house in XXXX and want to redo my kitchen. Who has researched the most economical way to do that? TIA!

(it really is basically the same thing).

Installing solar is a construction project on your new home. There is no such thing as "most economical". It depends on what your goals are . "Using solar to charge your tesla" is sort of a goal but no one knows how far you drive, how much electricity you use at your home etc, so "enough to charge my tesla" doesnt mean much without that information.

If tesla services your area, they generally are the "cheapest" but "cheapest" doesnt necessarily mean "most economical".

If "cheapest cost" is what you want, generally tesla will be the cheapest cost as long as the home is a good candidate for solar from tesla. Every home is different though.

Reactions: Akikiki