Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels that make your house look better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jack6591

May 11, 2013
California
I think there's quite a radical difference between having solar panels on your roof that make your house look better versus ones that do not. ... We can't disclose the details of those, because making future product announcements that are really exciting obviously affect future product sales.

Only about 1% of U.S. homes have solar, so you have a massive addressable market that's unserved. There's at least 40 [million] to 60 million households that could do solar if they wanted to. So if the economics were right, and they liked the aesthetics, and it was easy to do, then they would do it. So the future market there is really gigantic.

Elon Musk

So much has been written about cell efficiency and new technologies. Working as a solar power rebate inspector I have conducted hundreds of solar system inspections. In my view, the three most important technical innovations on the solar industry horizon are: Aesthetics, Aesthetics, and Aesthetics.

Elon built a compelling Electric Vehicle (read that a Damn Good Looking Car). If he accomplishes the same thing with solar it will turn the industry on its head.

Make triangular panels, even if dummy panels, to fill-in the gaps around dormers, etc. The other aesthetic advancement would be a way to not have to leave blanks where plumbing vents, etc. are. My neighbor had his solar company move the vents so that the panels were more uniform.