Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof Underlayment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today Tesla delivered the first batch of materials. Should I be concerned that Tesla still delivered the Firestone branded underlayment? I thought this was replaced with the new Tesla branded underlayment months ago for being inferior. Yes, I’ll be contacting my Tesla project manager just wanted to know if anybody here still received the Firestone ones?

Today Tesla delivered the first batch of materials. Should I be concerned that Tesla still delivered the Firestone branded underlayment? I thought this was replaced with the new Tesla branded underlayment months ago for being inferior. Yes, I’ll be contacting my Tesla project manager just wanted to know if anybody here still received the Firestone ones?
Someone else said they got Firestone on their recent install. Seems to vary. We have Firestone and it seems to be working fine. No leaks and the attic seems cooler. Not sure if that is due to the roof, underlayment, or combination.

Never heard Firestone was inferior, just that Firestone was meant for commercial buildings

Never heard Firestone was inferior, just that Firestone was meant for commercial buildings
I think the biggest issues are that it is harder to work with/on for the installers (potentially including requiring more layers and being more slippery) and cannot be installed at lower temperatures. Otherwise, I agree (and certainly hope, also having Firestone) that it should not make a difference.

With OP being in LA, it may be that the concerns about temperature and slipperiness are lower so they are using Firestone there and using the other product in colder/wetter areas.

The other differences are that the new underlayment can be left uncovered for much longer (up to 6 months) and only a single layer is needed (whereas the Firestone is installed with two layers). As others have said, I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of inferior protection for your roof. Tesla simply switched to the new underlayment to optimize the install process.

Reactions: Matt-FL
The other differences are that the new underlayment can be left uncovered for much longer (up to 6 months) and only a single layer is needed (whereas the Firestone is installed with two layers). As others have said, I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of inferior protection for your roof. Tesla simply switched to the new underlayment to optimize the install process.
My underlayment was left exposed for three months. Can you provide the link for where Tesla underlayment can be uncovered for up to six months, I just can’t find that info. Thank you!

Can you provide the link for where Tesla underlayment can be uncovered for up to six months

This info on FT Cobalt underlayment states "UV Resistance" is 6 months which I believe is the main concern with leaving the underlayment exposed:

The underlayment for my solar roof was branded as Tesla but the delivery boxes were labelled as FT Cobalt.
I'm not 100% certain it is exactly the same thing - seems likely though.

FYI, I had the Firestone underlayment installed in 2020 - since then, the tar-like backing has been melting and dripping from my valleys!!!!! After showing this to Tesla, they're now tearing off my entire roof down to the rafters and installing new sheathing and the Tesla branded underlayment!

Attachments

• IMG_4930.JPG
    IMG_4930.JPG
    452.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4936.JPG
    IMG_4936.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5465.JPG
    IMG_5465.JPG
    546 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5461.JPG
    IMG_5461.JPG
    437.4 KB · Views: 51
FYI, I had the Firestone underlayment installed in 2020 - since then, the tar-like backing has been melting and dripping from my valleys!!!!! After showing this to Tesla, they're now tearing off my entire roof down to the rafters and installing new sheathing and the Tesla branded underlayment!
Wow, what a mess! How long after it was installed did it take for the melting/dripping to show up?

Who would have thought I would be back to my original post back in 2021. I now see tar drips on the edges and the floor, the definitly the firestone underlayment melting. Thats the only parts I could see since some parts are high and covered by the gutter. I am in southern California solar roof was installed 2021.

Attachments

• IMG_7846.jpeg
    IMG_7846.jpeg
    592.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7847.jpeg
    IMG_7847.jpeg
    618.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7848.jpeg
    IMG_7848.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7849.jpeg
    IMG_7849.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7845.jpeg
    IMG_7845.jpeg
    456 KB · Views: 6
Has anyone with Tesla underlayment had this issue?
Those with Firestone underlayment, how much of a fight was the replacement? When it was replaced, did they reinstall your old active tiles or did they swap to the new tiles without glass inactive tiles?