Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passive and Active Vents for Solar Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

my quest in installing Solar Roof continues.

As I mentioned in a different thread I have re-arranged the elements of my roof such as - I have removed several vents and combined plumbing exhaust pipes. That allowed to greatly increase the amount of solar my roof will be able to generate. Removal of the old vents required installation of the active solar powered vents to make sure that attic has adequate air flow.

When the team that does old roof tear down came, they have removed all the roof boards that contained holes from vents, and replaced these board with new boards and put Tesla underlayment on top of the whole roof.

Removal team has indicated that Tesla using its own vents and will cut holes of necessary size on the roof to install their own vents.
Because the removal team is not Tesla, and just a contractor who tears down old roof and puts underlayment, they could not answer if Tesla installs active (with solar activated fans) or passive vents.

My roof has to have active vents otherwise the temperature in the attic is going to be too high.

Hence, my question those people who went though this process:
- Does Tesla use it is own active or passive vents?
- When you needed to have active vents how did you go through the process of requesting those? If you were able to negotiate active vents, what characteristics to they have?

So far I was not able to extract info from my installation advisor that would be able to answer those questions.

Hello everyone,

I wanted to respond to my own thread.

Tesla got back to me and indicated that the don't have their own active solar power vents.
They have indicated that would be happy to install "Remington Solar 20-Watt Solar Attic Fan (BDB) with Thermostat /Humidistat (20 x 20 x 8.75 IN)"

It is possible to find one on Amazon.

Hopefully it is helpful to those who want to keep their attic cool and you have removed some solar vents to increase solar energy production.