Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar w/Whole Home Battery Backup Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I've been working with Tesla on getting my home hooked up with solar and what I initially asked for was a whole home battery backup solution. They came back and indicated I can only have a partial home backup because "the current max branch breaker size being 125A" and I would need a Main Service Panel (MSP) upgrade to facilitate a whole home backup.

My questions are 1) my current MSP is model SC3040M200RS which appears to be discontinued and replaced by SC3042M200PS - All in one, Homeline, CSED, ringed socket, 200A, surface mount, 30 spaces, 42 circuits, 22kA SCCR, no bypass, solar ready | Schneider Electric USA which, if I'm reading this correctly, the newer model has a branch size of 200A? Which is what I need to do whole home backup?

2) Will Tesla basically be moving all of my current loads from the MSP to their sub-panel even though I just replaced the MSP? Basically making this new panel just a pass through to the Gateway?

3) Is the reason I can't have a whole home backup without this upgrade because I would be limiting myself to 125A?

4) Since I’m looking to upgrade the MSP, is there something I should be looking for or is something like the SC3042M200PS a good option?

I think I'm answering my own questions as I write this, but I'd like someone to validate my thoughts since the Project Manager has been less responsive than I’d like.

Thanks

Hello, I've been working with Tesla on getting my home hooked up with solar and what I initially asked for was a whole home battery backup solution. They came back and indicated I can only have a partial home backup because "the current max branch breaker size being 125A" and I would need a Main Service Panel (MSP) upgrade to facilitate a whole home backup.

My questions are 1) my current MSP is model SC3040M200RS which appears to be discontinued and replaced by SC3042M200PS - All in one, Homeline, CSED, ringed socket, 200A, surface mount, 30 spaces, 42 circuits, 22kA SCCR, no bypass, solar ready | Schneider Electric USA which, if I'm reading this correctly, the newer model has a branch size of 200A? Which is what I need to do whole home backup?

2) Will Tesla basically be moving all of my current loads from the MSP to their sub-panel even though I just replaced the MSP? Basically making this new panel just a pass through to the Gateway?

3) Is the reason I can't have a whole home backup without this upgrade because I would be limiting myself to 125A?

4) Since I’m looking to upgrade the MSP, is there something I should be looking for or is something like the SC3042M200PS a good option?

I think I'm answering my own questions as I write this, but I'd like someone to validate my thoughts since the Project Manager has been less responsive than I’d like.

Thanks
Welcome to Teslamotorsclub.com!

#1- the key phrase is "solar ready", which should mean it has 225A bus bars. However, in the link above, it doesn't. You probably want 225A bus bars.
#2 Yup. The new MSP is there just to provide a circuit breaker for the total load.
#3 Yup.
#4 See #1 above. I think that you want a MSP that has 225A bus bars. (But that is Tesla's problem, not yours.)

My $0.02: Expect Tesla to be exceptionally unresponsive.

All the best,

BG

My main panel only has 150 amp service and I have a 60amp subpanel. But I have both panels backed up on 2 PW+'s. And I have two AC units. No pool or well pump. I wish I had 200 amp service. Upgrading the panel would probably be a few thousand and would need approval from the power company since I'd be increasing my load on the transformer.