Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my AWD non P for a Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sort of wish Tesla Model 3 Performance was out in 2012 b/c my dad bought me an BMW M3 to bribe me out of a motorcycle. I didn't really want the M3, and I made it clear a BMW M3 was not gonna get me off a motorcycle. And I don't think Tesla was as mainstream in 2012 as it is now in 2019.

But the Tesla Model 3, I have less need to drive my motorcycle now. I haven't driven it since owning the Model 3, which is surprising to me, and maybe should make my parents happy they did not need to go buy a Lamborghini to get me off a motorcycle. And I like the Model 3 way more than the M3, and it drives much better! Even if they did get a Lamborghini for me, that car is very difficult to drive and I would probably still revert to my motorcycle some days. I've rented one so I know that it's one of the worst cars for commuting, it could be one of the most frustrating cars to drive if you any bit of traffic to deal with.

I think the autopilot is the main reason I don't think about riding the motorcycle because I can just zone out and relax. One of the best features for any car. It works the best during the middle of the night when there are no cars around, so I can easily drive at night not worried about how tired I am.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I have a wrinkle deformed trunk liner as well (9/2018 build). Had it on my due bill but they didn't do anything about it. I am curious what others' trunk liners look like. I got the impression due to the manufacturing they are somewhat similar across the board. I had initially thought maybe water caused the issue but told it was due to the manufacturing process.

Here’s what mine looks like:

View attachment 380273 View attachment 380274
Mine is also like that... probably messed up from the supplier and no one checks it or it's not worth the effort to the SC visit.

Mine is also like that... probably messed up from the supplier and no one checks it or it's not worth the effort to the SC visit.

The trunk liner piece is actually quite huge and is one piece and has extra cushioning along the well sides and bottom. Apart from the well area itself, it covers the trunk to the sides of the cargo area, and as I recall requires the second row seats to be removed to release the carpet. There was someone who posted a photo of it a while back when he had gotten water in his trunk and wanted to make sure everything dried out so the carpet didn't get moldy. My thought was this was not a piece that would ship easily so I can see any hesitance to replace if not needed. As long as the wrinkling wasn't water related, I'm okay with it I guess. Especially if they tend to come that way from the supplier and the next one might not be any better. Besides I hardly ever access the area anyway and will have an organizer on top of it so won't see the bottom surface.

The trunk liner piece is actually quite huge and is one piece and has extra cushioning along the well sides and bottom. Apart from the well area itself, it covers the trunk to the sides of the cargo area, and as I recall requires the second row seats to be removed to release the carpet. There was someone who posted a photo of it a while back when he had gotten water in his trunk and wanted to make sure everything dried out so the carpet didn't get moldy. My thought was this was not a piece that would ship easily so I can see any hesitance to replace if not needed. As long as the wrinkling wasn't water related, I'm okay with it I guess. Especially if they tend to come that way from the supplier and the next one might not be any better. Besides I hardly ever access the area anyway and will have an organizer on top of it so won't see the bottom surface.

Mines the same. My take is they are shipped flat with the box section folded up. The wrinkling happens during install when the box section is pushed down and out to conform to the shape of the well.

Agreed, such a piece would be a nightmare to ship without a large quantity getting damaged. The rental I had didn't have the issue, I guess they checked for this defect and chose to not accept cars with it. It's not a huge deal for me personally as that space is used to store the charger and flat kit and some winter emergency blankets.

I think the autopilot is the main reason I don't think about riding the motorcycle because I can just zone out and relax. One of the best features for any car. It works the best during the middle of the night when there are no cars around, so I can easily drive at night not worried about how tired I am.

With this cavalier attitude you may be having a rather short career until needing daddy to stump for a third car, if not funeral expenses.

was going to do the same, mostly because of the highly problematic issues with my non-perf AWD.

OTD on the non-perf was 62k, tesla trade in was 40k. The vehicle was 4 months old, with 700 miles on the ODO (of which tesla had it for 1.5 months for "repairs", and roughly 250 of those miles were put on by Tesla...)

Decided it wasnt worth shelling out an additional 20k or so (after TTL, etc) for a vehicle model with such a uncertain future/roadmap, especially with the maxwell acquisition.