Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution to carrying the spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
b5bc68a648d0cc1abc9569ca51ab2503.jpg

I hope it comes with a under car spare option. :-/

You don't want a spare tire under a vehicle designed to handle off road driving. It will be caked with mud or dirt and potentially damaged by rock strikes. It would be better to attach a tire holder to one of the T-slots in the bed and put the spare tire back there. And in day to day street driving, just slide the holder out to save weight and free bed space.

You don't want a spare tire under a vehicle designed to handle off road driving. It will be caked with mud or dirt and potentially damaged by rock strikes. It would be better to attach a tire holder to one of the T-slots in the bed and put the spare tire back there. And in day to day street driving, just slide the holder out to save weight and free bed space.

The more tyres the better. Two is standard fair for any outback trek, plus matching wheels and extra spare for whatever camper is towed. The reason I'd prefer under vehicle is that there is at least one full size spare on the rig at all times even if its not setup for on tour. Provided its tucked up and under it should be fine.

The problem with the bed mounted one will be that it takes up useful space, plus adds drag by sticking out and stopping the vault from closing. The spares would have to go on a rear carrier or trailer at least. Also the tyres might be a bit big for the ladies to put up and down on the bed.

There are places out here where the next gas station is 100kms away, let alone a tyre center with a spare. What you don't take with you don't have. (Hence the discussion about range extenders on the other thread)

Reactions: 365gtb4
My own car often enough I would prefer to have a spare. I did put run flats on since I can't have a spare.

Work trucks we went through 3 sets of tires before the first oil change. Although most of those were worn out not flat, the shale tore up the tread. We did have 1 trip that had 3 flat tires and we only carried 2 spares. They finally let me spec out some better tires and they lasted a bit longer.

The other option, admittedly not quite as good, is to use beadlockers as runflats. At least you stay mobile. But if your travelling with your family, and your 100's km from anyone (literally) or possibly 1-2 weeks away from a spare, it can really spoil the holiday, let alone could get you into some strife.

The more tyres the better. Two is standard fair for any outback trek, plus matching wheels and extra spare for whatever camper is towed. The reason I'd prefer under vehicle is that there is at least one full size spare on the rig at all times even if its not setup for on tour. Provided its tucked up and under it should be fine.

The problem with the bed mounted one will be that it takes up useful space, plus adds drag by sticking out and stopping the vault from closing. The spares would have to go on a rear carrier or trailer at least. Also the tyres might be a bit big for the ladies to put up and down on the bed.

There are places out here where the next gas station is 100kms away, let alone a tyre center with a spare. What you don't take with you don't have. (Hence the discussion about range extenders on the other thread)

It looks like there i space on the vault to put the tire upright, but it would be close. Trailer would be best, if you haul the trailer. A rear carrier would disturb the airflow and reduce range. If the tire is in the bed, the retractable ramp in the tailgate would make it easy to roll down or up.

Last edited:
Repost from Trunk thread to keep this one up to date:

I've done a detailed CAD drawing of CT that is dimensionally accurate to the nearest 1-2 cm or so. With the trunk in the bed there won't be enough room in the back to fit a full size spare wheel. The only place it could fit is in the front under the dash...which seems a silly place but could work as the dash has a massive volume underneath that is unused. It could slide out the front under the frunk hood. Dunno about how that fairs for crash testing though.

So we might not actually be getting a full size spare, those tyres a massive which doesn't help. If we take the trunk out it will just fit between the rear bumper and a model s sized powertrain, as the driveshaft output "should" to be centered to wheel hubs as well.

We should really partition Tesla to provision a full size spare either way, even if we loose the trunk. It should be possible to mount the wheel from underneath so it can be removed without emptying the bed. Technically if the rear bumper was in three pieces one could have a under bed sliding draw that is big enough for a full size spare and can double as luggage space if you don't need one. The tow hitch might have to be under that though... the CT has a very low body overall which doesn't help for packaging. Putting it in the bed itself standing up it will still sick up about 200mm (8") so not good for airflow either. If you lay it down it takes up 1/3 of the bed.

In the render below you can see the rear tailgate mounting option for full size spares that will require a custom rear bumper with swing out arms (not shown) and in the reflection on the ground you can see the MS motor and a underside mounted wheel/rim that gets close to the rear bumper edge and diff housing because of it's diameter. Tyre size is scaled to dimensions, just has a different more off road wheel/tyre combo (that I din't have to draw from scratch!) There is a it of vertical height in that under bed cavity to juggle things around still. Definitely possible I hope they make it work.

Spare Wheel Options.png

The problem is this truck has independent suspension not a fixed axle, and needs somewhere to put the electric drive (see reflection in photo). Its also got a much longer wheelbase of over 4m which pushes everything further back, meaning these extra large (larger than standard F150) wheels barely fit in the back in between the bumper and electric motor. Its impossible if they keep the rear storage trunk, in fact thats probably why they put the trunk in there to use up some of the void.

Do most current trucks with under bed spare tires really accept 35" off road tires in that storage space?

I thought they fit standard road tires in there and that is why so many off road vehicles have a spare on the rear, or on a rack.

Adding a hitch to the 2002 RAV4 EV required ingenuity as it intruded into the spare's space.

Do most current trucks with under bed spare tires really accept 35" off road tires in that storage space?
The Ford Raptor comes with 35" tires and a full size spare under the bed so I would guess that all F150s can. Most SUVs probably can't (my Lexus GX is 33" max).
I think it's very unlikely that the production truck will have 35" tires. It's going to be very challenging to hit 500 miles of range unless battery prices drop dramatically.

Aerodynamically, larger diameter wheels with less width is better for increasing range.

I don't think the tyre size will change much without also making the wheel arch smaller to close the gap. I'm also fairly confident the range will only be achievable by lowering the vehicle whilst on roads. Larger wheels also provide better ride by bridging holes and bumps better, have a larger contact patch (probably important for 2.9sec) and still allow for enough deflation for use on sand etc whilst offering a smaller front section to the air flow.

There's a bit of a trade off with aerodynamics and a off-road vehicle that works well with a height adjustable suspension, in that whilst off roading one typically needs more ground clearance, but also normally means one is traveling slower so there's less air resistance, and then when at high speed the aerodynamics are more important, but the ground clearance is unnecessary, so making it lower helps improve range.

Full size spare is a must! i run 33's on my land rover, It does not have enough space in the "Spare" location so i strapped it up inside the trunk area. You could always put your 35" tire in the bed, But i really love that rendering JBee did!!

Also if Tesla can modify there traction system Sort of like my Land Rovers terrain response system (Tesla can do it better) the mud terrains at the reveal wont be necessary. The traction control system makes My BFG AT KO2's seem like overkill.

Im also thinking Tesla is comparing certain parts of cyber truck to the F-150 Raptor. probably the reason for the 35" tires and the "you could take this to Baja 1000" comment. Makes me think they will offer some way for a spare to fit.