Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solutions for double GFCI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I've seen this somewhere but I can't find it now - so I will ask.

What is the "preferred" method of dealing with situations where there is are two GFCI protectors - one on the 120v charger connector and one protecting the outlet/circuit?

I've thought of literally cutting the charger cord and installing a male and female connector. If the wall outlet has its' own GFCI protection I could simply unplug the original male end of the charging cord and then plug the cord into the wall.

Thoughts?

I know I've seen this somewhere but I can't find it now - so I will ask.

What is the "preferred" method of dealing with situations where there is are two GFCI protectors - one on the 120v charger connector and one protecting the outlet/circuit?

I've thought of literally cutting the charger cord and installing a male and female connector. If the wall outlet has its' own GFCI protection I could simply unplug the original male end of the charging cord and then plug the cord into the wall.

Thoughts?

Probably on this thread

GFCI Trip on Plug in (spare connector)

You could likely convert the garage to non-GFCI circuit. If it is a GFCI Breaker it is quite easy to swap to a non-GFCI breaker. They snap in and out with the GFCI having an extra ground in the box that needs removed as well. Or if it is a GFI outlet just change with a normal outlet. Both options should be less than $20 and take less than 20 minutes.

The simplest and quickest fix (and no messing with live circuits) is to remove the GFCI from the cord and replace it with an industrial grade straight plug, as has been discussed in other threads in this forum.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I know about replacing the GFCI outlet or the GFCI circuit breaker routes - I was more looking for solutions if I use someone else's electricity.

Now I'm thinking of flexible solutions to deal with other outlets - specifically, I have the 14-50 and thinking of carrying a female outlet (in a box) with several feet of 10 guage wire exiting the box. Then carry the various male plugs for 20, 30 amp outlets and a screw driver. It would literally take only a couple minutes to attached the proper male plug to the wire and dial down the amps on the car's screen. It would seem to cost less and take less space in the trunk rather than Tesla's adapters at $100 or $150 each.

Thoughs?

Thanks for all the replies. I know about replacing the GFCI outlet or the GFCI circuit breaker routes - I was more looking for solutions if I use someone else's electricity.

Now I'm thinking of flexible solutions to deal with other outlets - specifically, I have the 14-50 and thinking of carrying a female outlet (in a box) with several feet of 10 guage wire exiting the box. Then carry the various male plugs for 20, 30 amp outlets and a screw driver. It would literally take only a couple minutes to attached the proper male plug to the wire and dial down the amps on the car's screen. It would seem to cost less and take less space in the trunk rather than Tesla's adapters at $100 or $150 each.

Thoughs?

Just remember to manually limit the current using the touch screen before starting the charge... The TM adapters have the advantage of selecting the maximum current automatically based on the plug type.