TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Some 21" wheel questions

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by BigAirHarper, Jul 19, 2016.

1. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

I'm thinking about getting a set of grey OEM 21" wheels to compliment the new Tesla I have arriving soon and use them maybe 1/2 the year and switch back to the 19" the other half. I know the 21" wear more rapidly. My questions are as follows:

1) the set I have found is staggered off a P85+, I was reading on tire rack that the 245/35 R21 tires would fit the rear despite the wider rim, all the manufacturers versions of this tire can do this, but has anyone done this?

2) the Hankook Ventus look like an exceptional value. Has anyone had any experience with them?

2. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Let me offer my experience with Tesla tires and wheels:

1. The wider 9" rear wheels will fit the 245/35 R21 tires just fine.
    2. The Hankook Ventus V12 is a great tire at half the price of the OEM Michelin tire. I run them on my Porsche.
    3. I use 19" all season tires in the winter and 21" performance tire in the summer to optimize performance. :cool:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Love the Hankooks on my P85+, although I got 2 8.5" rims for the rear 245mm tires.

How much winter is there in Destin, FL? ;) Do you really need a 19" rim/tire set?

4. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

Hahaha there is no winter snow/ice wise. We do have mornings in the teens tho....but it's 50 by mid day :)

My wife and I just love the 21" grey look. So tempted to get a spare set of wheels just for fun.