Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone lit my car cover on fire and my Tesla Model 3 burnt to the ground.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am incredibly sad and in disbelief right now..I was leaving for a huge, long planned road trip. There were 3-4 other fires lit in the area, the fire was on the frunk, battery intact. It had been parked and not in use/off for hours.

What can I expect from Tesla insurance?

2019 SR+ 16,000 miles

I just paid for registration renewal, but the tags haven't expired yet? Would I be able to recoup that? (California)

Am I going to get less than I would in the open market?

Been dealing with this for the last 2 hours and its just hitting me...I had the best version of the car before all the bs...pre pedestrian speaker, pre vision only...FML

/defeated.

Attachments

• 20210802_012807.jpg
    20210802_012807.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 309
  • 20210802_013731.jpg
    20210802_013731.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 20210802_022116.jpg
    20210802_022116.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Informative
Reactions: DanCar and KenC
Sorry to hear that. Let us know how it works out. You can always unplug the pedestrian speaker and your 2019 would have been pure vision soon anyway. Don't want to make light of your situation, it sucks, but don't let the aholes of the world get you down and I hope you find some silver lining somewhere. I was rear ended after just a few hundred miles. I never found a silver lining but even though it was not intentional I now know I let it bother me way more than I should have.

Hmm... that seems to be opposite of what I posted earlier. The OP would have to get a salvage certificate before applying for the VLF refund. I believe the current rate for the VLF is 2% of the vehicle's current "value", however that is determined. The refund would be 1/12 of that for each month left on the registration. If the OP then does receive this refund, I would assume that on next year's tax filing, he would not be able to deduct the VLF like normal.

I am incredibly sad and in disbelief right now..I was leaving for a huge, long planned road trip. There were 3-4 other fires lit in the area, the fire was on the frunk, battery intact. It had been parked and not in use/off for hours.

What can I expect from Tesla insurance?

2019 SR+ 16,000 miles

I just paid for registration renewal, but the tags haven't expired yet? Would I be able to recoup that? (California)

Am I going to get less than I would in the open market?

Been dealing with this for the last 2 hours and its just hitting me...I had the best version of the car before all the bs...pre pedestrian speaker, pre vision only...FML

/defeated.

I am really sorry to hear this.

Also, I am not sure you are aware, but a quick google search turns up a news video of the vehicle above, and in the video they state the exact location (meaning anyone can put that together with your post above and if this is you, put those things together).

If it were me, since this looks like someone deliberately did this, I would want less things online tying to my physical location than adding to that myself. Its hard to limit that kind of stuff online, but most people are not in the situation you are in, with a news reporter doing a segment, at the exact location, and stating exactly where it is.

==========================

(moderator note: Op if you decide that you dont want this thread here for some reason, please report the thread using the report feature, and we can remove it. I am certainly not saying you need to do that, just giving you information if you choose to go that route).

I am really sorry to hear this.

Also, I am not sure you are aware, but a quick google search turns up a news video of the vehicle above, and in the video they state the exact location (meaning anyone can put that together with your post above and if this is you, put those things together).

If it were me, since this looks like someone deliberately did this, I would want less things online tying to my physical location than adding to that myself. Its hard to limit that kind of stuff online, but most people are not in the situation you are in, with a news reporter doing a segment, at the exact location, and stating exactly where it is.

==========================

(moderator note: Op if you decide that you dont want this thread here for some reason, please report the thread using the report feature, and we can remove it. I am certainly not saying you need to do that, just giving you information if you choose to go that route).
I appreciate the thought. I don't park near my place, I park several blocks away. So the car is not near my place of residence.

I removed my plates this morning after so many people were taking pics.