Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something rattling around inside car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. Has anyone else had this problem? I seem to have picked up what sounds like a small piece of gravel, and every time I take a corner, it rattles all the way along the car from one side to the other. It sounds like it is somewhere behind the back seat. I've done the obvious of looking in the boot to make sure there is nothing there (and anyway, if there was, it wouldn't make the same sound, as the boot is lined with carpet, and this is the sound of a stone rattling against metal).
The alternative I suppose is that something has broken off inside, but the car is showing no signs of any distress.

It's a very long rattle. A few seconds. Roughly the time it would take for a stone to slowly roll from one side of the car to the other. There isn't enough lateral space in the console or the glovebox for that length of rattle.

Could uninstall the rear seats if you’re wanting to look into it yourself...think there are some DIYs on that on YT. Check i1Tesla.

IIRC, there’s metal under the seats that traverses the width of the car so could definitely imagine something rolling uninterrupted down there.

EDIT:

I think Tesla’s policy on creaks and rattles is like 5k or 10k or 12k miles (don’t remember the number offhand but it’s something significantly lower than the std warranty).

• Informative
Reactions: klib
Could uninstall the rear seats if you’re wanting to look into it yourself...think there are some DIYs on that on YT. Check i1Tesla.

IIRC, there’s metal under the seats that traverses the width of the car so could definitely imagine something rolling uninterrupted down there.

EDIT:

I think Tesla’s policy on creaks and rattles is like 5k or 10k or 12k miles (don’t remember the number offhand but it’s something significantly lower than the std warranty).

Thanks a lot. I now realise there's a good chance one of the kids might have dropped something and it slid inside the seat. Perfect room there for something to rattle back and forth. Will dismantle the seat tomorrow when it's light and see if I can get to the bottom of the matter.

Reactions: woodisgood
I had a similar sound, ever time I would go around a corner it sounded like it was going from one side of the car to the other. I was convinced it was something loose below the floor pan (maybe in the battery area?)

Turned out it was a loose pebble going from side to side on my rear seat 3D MAXpider all-season weather mats...

A few days later I heard a similar sound -- was another loose pebble, but this time rolling around the front passenger mat.