Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound System Quiet (NOT the missing bass issue)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
I know there is a thread on the sound system missing low end bass and such, but my question is more about it when it has been working. I think the quality of the system is a 8/10, but max max me a 5/10. I have been a hobby audiphile (by no means professional, but have built some very quality car systems) and love the quality and range, but I find max volume lacking. Am I the only one; I see a ton on the forums of people raving about the quality, but not too much comment on volume. I find myself listening at max volume with the windows up without even thinking it's that loud. With the windows down, it is much to quiet at max.

Anyone else have a similar opinion?

Thanks !

Hello all,
I know there is a thread on the sound system missing low end bass and such, but my question is more about it when it has been working. I think the quality of the system is a 8/10, but max max me a 5/10. I have been a hobby audiphile (by no means professional, but have built some very quality car systems) and love the quality and range, but I find max volume lacking. Am I the only one; I see a ton on the forums of people raving about the quality, but not too much comment on volume. I find myself listening at max volume with the windows up without even thinking it's that loud. With the windows down, it is much to quiet at max.

Anyone else have a similar opinion?

Thanks !

There is a "showroom mode" that severely limits volume, I was told. Any chance that could be engaged?

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
I have not heard of that? I do not think so, but I could be wrong. I do not think it is by an objective means quiet, at full volume it is I would say about 80% as loud as most other quality factory systems, definitely much better sound quality. May just be what it is?

I tend to run the volume a lot higher than I did in my previous cars with premium sound systems. All my previous cars would generally hit a sweet spot right around 1/2 way up, depending on the source of course, and get much louder (into hearing damage mode) just a bit over that. In the model 3, I find that sweet spot to be closer to 3/4 of the way up. So yes, it may be a bit less total output overall, but it does get to the right place for me.

One thing that i've noticed, and I could be wrong, but the volume control is set up with a linear curve, instead of the logarithmic curve most volume controls have. Which may explain what we're experiencing. I've noticed that there's much bigger jumps in volume between the steps in the top end of the volume control. If they changed it to a logarithmic curve it would get louder faster, and be louder in the middle of the volume range, which would make it all seem louder.

I tend to run the volume a lot higher than I did in my previous cars with premium sound systems. All my previous cars would generally hit a sweet spot right around 1/2 way up, depending on the source of course, and get much louder (into hearing damage mode) just a bit over that. In the model 3, I find that sweet spot to be closer to 3/4 of the way up. So yes, it may be a bit less total output overall, but it does get to the right place for me.

One thing that i've noticed, and I could be wrong, but the volume control is set up with a linear curve, instead of the logarithmic curve most volume controls have. Which may explain what we're experiencing. I've noticed that there's much bigger jumps in volume between the steps in the top end of the volume control. If they changed it to a logarithmic curve it would get louder faster, and be louder in the middle of the volume range, which would make it all seem louder.

I would completely agree with that thought process. When driving, windows up, full volume is probably 75-80% of what I like on a total jam moment. 50% of what I want when windows are down.

That would be unusual, how do you know?
As I said, I'm not sure. But I have quite a bit of experience building and servicing electronic musical gear, and know pretty well how a volume control works if the wrong kind of pot is used, and this volume control seems to work like the wrong kind was used. Considering it's most likely actually controlled by software, it may be just my imagination, or something else completely.

I notice very low volume when playing music from iPhone via Bluetooth. I have the volume usually set to 100% and it sometimes my kids are asking for it to be louder. If I switch to radio or streaming sources I have to move the volume way down to say 50% or lower.
Make sure your iPhone volume is at 100% (hit the volume up button on your phone when playing music over Bluetooth). I think the iPhone defaults to a low volume when you pair a new Bluetooth device. It will remember the volume once you set it though.

Reactions: mtndrew1