Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Source of squeaking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is making a squeaking sound that is driving me nuts like fingernails on a chalkboard. It's got me to the point where I'm all tensed up waiting for the next squeaks. It sounds like when you move the rear headrests up and down, except I lubed my headrests so I know that's not it. I can't pinpoint it as it sounds like it's coming from all around me. I saw one post where squeaking was coming from the glass roof. Any suggestions on where to focus? It's been squeaking since July, but my service appointment has been moved back twice by one month each, so I'm scheduled to go in at the end of October now to have it looked at.

I had my Y in last week for a service appointment to fix a rattle/squeak coming from the passenger rear - they adjusted the 40 split rear seat and it's gone. No cost. You should definitely add it to a service visit to address.

Try the following to narrow it down..

1.) lift up the Center seat headrest
2.) fold down both seats
3.) fold down both seats

This can help pinpoint the source.. I have one back seat that squeaks (sounds like an angry squirrel) you can hear it when you just shake the seat.

I might know what squeak you are trying to track down. For me it is behind the screen where the grey trim meets the screen mount on the passenger side. Pressing on it while driving stopped the squeak.
I'm getting it looked at in a week.

Attachments

• IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 236
I had two cracklings noises. One just behind the screen - possibly the panel when it’s in the up position and the other was in the rear right corner. Brought it into Tesla service and they told me it was the center wood panel was loose (added some 3M tape. The other was the panel for the Amp. Again added 3M tape. Fixed. No cost fix.