TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Space(X) acronyms and abbreviations

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by doug, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#1 doug, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited by Genshi: Dec 1, 2016
    SpaceX = Space Exploration Technologies, Inc.

ASDS = autonomous spaceport drone ship
    Autonomous spaceport drone ship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    JRtI = Just Read the Instructions, the first of the ASDS fleet. Rebuilt and moved to West Coast.
    OCISLY = Of Course I Still Love You, the name of one of those ships, stationed in Florida.
    The names come from sentient ships in Iain M. Banks' Culture series of Sci-Fi novels.

SES = a particular satellite company SES - Global Satellite Services Provider - Your Satellite Company - SES.com

CRS = Commercial Resupply Services, the name of the program to resupply the ISS. SpaceX won this bid from NASA who pays them to deliver goods to the International Space Station (ISS). This is the 8th official mission for SpaceX.
    Commercial Resupply Services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll also be hearing a lot about:
    Commercial Crew Development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    CCDev
    CCtCap

Various types of orbits have different shortcuts as well:
    Orbit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    LEO = Low Earth Orbit
    GTO = Geostationary Transfer Orbit - A much harder to reach orbit, highly elliptical. Used to get to GEO.
    GEO = Geostationary Orbit, where the orbit takes 24 hours so the satellite appears stationary over a place. Always above the equator.

SpaceX rocket terminology:
    Falcon, Falcon 1 = the original two stage, two engine rocket.
    Falcon 9 = F9 = SpaceX current rocket using Merlin 1D engines.
    Falcon Heavy = FH = SpaceX new heavy lifting rocket due out for testing by the end of this year (2016). SpaceX has already got orders to use this three core rocket.
    FT = Full Thrust = The new designation for the Falcon rockets using the newest technology. The fuel is "superchilled" to allow for more fuel and more efficiency, and slightly enlarged tanks.
    Core = Booster, first stage of F9; Falcon Heavy has three cores.
    FPV = Flight Proven Vehicle = re-use of a booster or Dragon capsule.
    Octaweb = structure that holds the nine motors of the F9 (eight in a circle, one in center)
    BFR: Big ...ummm... Rocket, proposed successor to the current line. Previously referred to as MCT (Mars Colonial Transporter) and more recently, as ITS (Interplanetary Transport System).

Engines:
    Merlin, Merlin 1D (current version), nine in the core.
    Merlin 1D-Vac, one motor in the second stage, optimized for operation in vacuum.
    Raptor, proposed new motor for the proposed "BFR".
    Keralox: the Merlin motors burn RP1 (kerosine) and LOX (liquified Oxygen).
    Methalox: Raptor motors will burn liquid Methane and LOX.

Places:
    Hawthorne, CA: headquarters, manufacturing. Other R&D in Palo Alto, CA, and Redmond, WA.
    McGregor, TX: test firing and site of the "Grasshopper" launches.
    Boca Chica (near Brownsville) TX: Private spaceport under construction
    SLC-40 = Space Launch Complex 40 = The name of one of the launch facilities at Cape Canaveral that SpaceX uses. Also LC-39A (historic pad for launching Apollo and Space Shuttle missions).
    Vandenberg, CA: Air force base, used for launching to high-inclination orbits (can launch to south).

SpaceX

Competitors:
    ULA = United Launch Alliance = A company combining Boeing and Lockheed-Martin rocket manufacturing. They use the Atlas V rocket which uses the Russian RD-180 engine. They also use the Delta IV rocket.
    CST-100 = Boeing makes this capsule for ferrying astronauts to the ISS in the CCtCap program.
    Orbital ATK = Makes the Cygnus cargo capsule for ferrying supplies to the ISS.
    Blue Origin = space tourism venture backed by Amazon's Bezos. Also designing new rocket motors for NASA and ULA.
    Virgin Galactic = space tourism venture backed by Virgin's Branson. Air-launched space planes.
    Roscosmos = Russia's launch company, currently the only way to launch people to the International Space Station. Launch from Baikonur in Kazakhstan.
    Arianespace = French launch company, gets lots of European Space Agency business. Spaceport in Guyana.
    CNSA = Chinese National Space Agency. Also provides commercial launch services.
    A number of other countries have launched satellites, but don't provide launches for third parties.

Full list of acronyms and abbreviations

• Informative x 3
  2. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I apologize for my ignorance in advance, but I love to pop into these threads and read about what is going on with SpaceX. Only problem is I don't know the lingo.

I was wondering if you guys could set up a glossary of sorts, maybe above all the threads, that us noobs could click on and figure out what ASDS, SES, OCISLY etc... may stand for.

As you can guess I am not a rocket scientist, nor do I pretend to be. Just a humble request. Thanks in advance!

3. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

#3 Grendal, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    CRS = Commercial Resupply Services, the name of the program to resupply the ISS. SpaceX won this bid from NASA who pays them to deliver goods to the International Space Station (ISS). This is the 8th official mission for SpaceX.

Commercial Resupply Services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll also be hearing a lot about:

Commercial Crew Development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CCDev
    CCtCap

Various types of orbits have different shortcuts as well:

Orbit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LEO = Low Earth Orbit
    GTO = Geostationary Transfer Orbit - A much harder to reach orbit.

SpaceX rocket terminology:

Falcon 9 = F9 = SpaceX current rocket using Merlin 1D engines.
    Falcon Heavy = FH = SpaceX new heavy lifting rocket due out for testing by the end of this year. SpaceX has already got orders to use this three core rocket.
    FT = Full Throttle = The new designation for the Falcon rockets using the newest technology. The fuel is "superchilled" to allow for more fuel and more efficiency.
    Core = Booster
    SLC-40 = Space Launch Complex 40 = The name of one of the launch facilities at Cape Canaveral that SpaceX uses. Also LC-39A.

SpaceX

Competitors:

ULA = United Launch Alliance = A company combining Boeing and Lockheed-Martin rocket manufacturing. They use the Atlas V rocket which uses the Russian RD-180 engine. They also use the Delta IV rocket.

CST-100 = Boeing makes this capsule for ferrying astronauts to the ISS in the CCtCap program.

Orbital ATK = Makes the Cygnus cargo capsule for ferrying supplies to the ISS.

4. Nikxice

Nikxice Member

Thanks Doug and Grendal. I'm familiar with most of this information, but you guys have filled in some interesting gaps. The reference lists and acronym explanations are useful to help follow this thread on SpaceX.... JRTI! ;-)

5. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Thanks! This is great!

6. Fuzzylogic

Fuzzylogic EU Sport 359 & S94

This might be relevant :rolleyes:

image.jpg

Source: Twitter

7. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Full Thrust.

• Like x 1
  8. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

That's usually written JRtI, as it would be capitalized if written out.

Also @Grendal, it's Full Thrust, not Full Throttle. The turbopumps move as much as they can, it's just that there's less of it if it isn't chilled. The "throttle" was always wide open. Except when throttling back for MaxQ (Maximum aerodynamic pressure).

9. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Thanks SW2Fiddler and ggr. I suppose I'd been making too many car comments that day and had car terminology in my head. :confused:

10. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

Octaweb - the support structure and plumbing used to attach the 9 Merlin engines to the rest of the first stage of the Falcon 9 v1.1 or Falcon 9 FT rocket. Sometimes the term is used to refer to the engines as well, once they are mounted on the rocket. The new pattern of 8 engines circularly arranged around a center engine is different than the original Falcon 9 v1.0 layout, where engines were in a 3x3 square grid pattern.

11. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Might as well make the first post a wiki post if possible.

12. Two9A

Two9A Member

For what it's worth, I'm the maintainer of the acronym expansion bot (Decronym) for Reddit's SpaceX community, so there's a fairly comprehensive list of acronyms here: Decronym

Some of the expansions link to Wikipedia articles or (in one case) YouTube videos on the subject, but more links and more detail are always welcome.

• Love x 1
  13. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Awesome! Thanks!:D

14. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

Isn't SpaceX short for space exploration technologies?

15. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Yes! According to wikipedia:

SpaceX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feels appropriate to have that link here too! Thanks for adding :D

16. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

The first post in this thread is now a wiki so we can keep our own list.

17. Electric Jupiter

Wow, thanks for that. Seems like a viable system for getting things done and having short words for spacex. The competitors are going to be shocked when spacex goes to mars and lands humans there first!

18. Electric Jupiter

Yes, glad someone clarified...

19. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I added a couple of Wiki entries and reorganized a bit.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.