Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Comm Crew In Flight Abort - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep already started

75A2FC9E-5B64-4C8C-AE18-DCC4E766D154.png

472E4B85-E8BD-4742-B653-43BD7077947F.png

Last edited:
Ugh. Brindenstein is giving themselves an out to stretch out the first astronaut launch. "Well, we might decide to make the mission longer duration, which would, of course, push out the date.". Before he said that, Elon gave the collective answer to the first crew launch which was: rocket will be ready in Q1, hopefully astronauts will be Q2.

Cool. Elon said that long term, they want to catch the capsule like they catch fairings once they figure out reliable fairing capture. NASA would still have to approve.
Catch the Crew Dragon in a huge net like they are currently trying with the fairings? Interesting, but I’m skeptical that would ever come to pass. Would need steerable chutes, so a completely different design (capsule weighs so much more than a fairing) that would require a lot of testing to be human-rated. Would NASA be interested in paying for that? I don’t think it would be worth it for SpaceX to pay for that.

Crew Dragon gives SpaceX valuable experience in keeping humans alive while in orbit, but in the long run it’s a footnote in SpaceX history. Starship is the future.

Reactions: HVM
Heh. Brindenstein was asked why NASA hasn't actually decided, at this late stage, why they haven't decided whether or not to do a long or short first astronaut mission. He didn't answer that part of the question.

My takeaway was that they were considering what other activities they might do if they had a larger US team at ISS for a longer time, then mentioned only one astronaut otherwise doing an EVA. Made me think it was more project based than anything else.

My takeaway was that they were considering what other activities they might do if they had a larger US team at ISS for a longer time, then mentioned only one astronaut otherwise doing an EVA. Made me think it was more project based than anything else.

Yes, but it begs the question why they haven't decided yet. This is the first time we've heard that NASA might change and thus delay the first crewed mission. You can charitably state that they were waiting to see the results of this demo mission, but Brindenstein did not mention that as a reason. He gave NO reason for why they haven't decided on the next step when asked.

Yes, but it begs the question why they haven't decided yet. This is the first time we've heard that NASA might change and thus delay the first crewed mission. You can charitably state that they were waiting to see the results of this demo mission, but Brindenstein did not mention that as a reason. He gave NO reason for why they haven't decided on the next step when asked.
I agree, something fishy is going on here...

To borrow Elon's term, that "fireball" (it wasn't really an explosion) was dramatic. Was I the only one to have a Challenger flashback? If they'd only had an abort system.

Huh. NASA will continue to buy an additional Soyez seat...

My takeaway from Bridenstine's statement was perhaps a subtle message to Boeing.......From this point forward NASA is going to insure they have crew access to the ISS with a redundant and capable partner...... So I suppose it could be a signal that they best prepare for an uncrewed Starliner redo.

I'm trying to unpack Elon's "collective" statement concerning DM-2 readiness in Q1, yet suggesting a Q2 launch. Credit to Elon for being prepared. His eagerness to move forward might have fumbled today, so he consulted with at least the two NASA officials on stage beforehand in the green room. One of them, Kathy Lueders said on Friday, “The vehicle will be all ready at the end of February. We’re kind of shooting for early March, right now, from a planning perspective. That would be the earliest.” Since we've now witnessed an apparent successful IFA test, I would think she would still stand by her Friday remarks. My guess is that Kathy and Elon are on the same page. That leaves me to believe that this morning Bridenstine worked to steer their answer toward Q2, the most conservative response, while still leaving open the opportunity to set a hard launch date.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf
Catch the Crew Dragon in a huge net like they are currently trying with the fairings? Interesting, but I’m skeptical that would ever come to pass. Would need steerable chutes, so a completely different design (capsule weighs so much more than a fairing) that would require a lot of testing to be human-rated. Would NASA be interested in paying for that? I don’t think it would be worth it for SpaceX to pay for that.
Crew Dragon gives SpaceX valuable experience in keeping humans alive while in orbit, but in the long run it’s a footnote in SpaceX history. Starship is the future.

Question. Does NASA plan to have a mix of manned and unmanned Dragon ISS delivery flights after the first successful crewed mission? I know SpaceX won't do this for political reasons, but when cargo deliveries start being handled by Dragon 2, I wish they would land those retropulsively as designed. Let NASA fish their astronauts out of the sea for a few years, while the space mice and other equipment rotating out of ISS get a nice cushy ground landing at KSC. Just like F9 boosters for the past several years.