Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT 1st reuse launch - SES-10 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At what point in the live feed did Elon come on? I had something very bizarre happen. I had the webcast window open at SES-10 MISSION | SpaceX at about 3pm PST. I saw the streaming star field visual they show before the webcast starts. Then at about about 3:15 the webcast comes on and it shows T-18 or something like that. I was surprised they started so late. But it appears that I was the one who was late. The webcast I was watching was about 10 minutes behind realtime. Then just as my webcast was about to show the stage land it went dark. Not the camera feed from the descending stage, the entire webcast. Black screen.

While this was going on I was texting with my dad and he was telling me that the stage landed 10 minutes earlier.

I still haven't seen the stage landing. Will have to search online.

Anyway, I am super excited the mission was a success and the stage was recovered.

I heard nothing during the webcast about the fairing recovery attempt.

Missed my post apparently. Start viewing at 40:00 minutes in.

I thought from some earlier news report that it was going to launch at 3pm. But then read on the USA Today site that the launch window started around 3:26pm PDT. Pretty on schedule. Didn't look at the exact time. Never get tired of seeing the T-minus 10 countdowns.

Sounds to me from reading your report (both of us on Pacific time) that you saw what I did and it was live not a delay. They said they weren't sure if they could maintain video feed (just audio) for when it landed back on the platform and the video did go out for a period of time. Have to admit I did miss seeing that, loved it the first time and was looking forward to it. So amazing to watch it happen and realizing the complexity of it at sea too. Then they cut to video of the teams watching and listening and you could tell they knew it had landed successfully. They took a break and when they came back they were preparing for release of the SES-10, which went off without a hitch too. Pretty much that's it.

Last edited:
At what point in the live feed did Elon come on? I had something very bizarre happen. I had the webcast window open at SES-10 MISSION | SpaceX at about 3pm PST. I saw the streaming star field visual they show before the webcast starts. Then at about about 3:15 the webcast comes on and it shows T-18 or something like that. I was surprised they started so late. But it appears that I was the one who was late. The webcast I was watching was about 10 minutes behind realtime. Then just as my webcast was about to show the stage land it went dark. Not the camera feed from the descending stage, the entire webcast. Black screen.

While this was going on I was texting with my dad and he was telling me that the stage landed 10 minutes earlier.

I still haven't seen the stage landing. Will have to search online.

Anyway, I am super excited the mission was a success and the stage was recovered.

I heard nothing during the webcast about the fairing recovery attempt.

Drone ship video feed cut out for a little bit as has happened before. Fairing recovery wasn't officially confirmed besides Steve Jurvetson. Musk will prolly tweet about it later if it was a success or not.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 6.22.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 6.22.02 PM.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 66
Drone ship video feed cut out for a little bit as has happened before. Fairing recovery wasn't officially confirmed besides Steve Jurvetson. Musk will prolly tweet about it later if it was a success or not.

I expect an Elon tweet or a video in a few days of a feed from the fairings themselves showing them coming through the atmosphere and parachutes deploying. That is if it is successful. The idea is to catch the fairings by a helicopter by snagging the parachutes mid-flight. If it happened it should be an amazing video to watch.

You can see the inside of the fairings for a brief moment before they separate. The insides are full of stuff that I don't remember seeing before.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Okay, I watched Elon's bit in the webcast. That is about as emotional as I have ever seen him. Today was truly historic for space exploration. Another major step towards rapid and complete rocket reusability. SpaceX continues to lead the industry and accomplish things that "old space" said were impossible.

And hopefully in just a few months we will see the first FH launch!

Reactions: Gerasimental