Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More latency progress:

1711469819623.png

The FCC dismissed SX's request to use additional spectrum, apparently not because they are explicitly denying it, but there are new filing rules now in place:

Also, more spectrum sparring... I, for one, am so relieved Dish is so altruistically looking out for the greater good of humanity.. they don't want others even commenting on such an evil plan:

"The FCC should immediately dismiss SpaceX's petition for rulemaking without seeking comment, because the mere action of seeking comment would provide it with undeserved credibility and threaten the certainty that has allowed EchoStar to innovate in this band leading to significant public interest benefits,"

they don't want others even commenting
In reading the article, it sure looks like SpaceX is trying to strongarm their way into the 2 GHz band, and the entrenched operators are panicking because there's really nothing they can do. The water is rising, they don't have a boat, and they're calling on Odin to halt the tide.

I leave it to Odin the regulators to decide what's best.

In reading the article, it sure looks like SpaceX is trying to strongarm their way into the 2 GHz band, and the entrenched operators are panicking because there's really nothing they can do. The water is rising, they don't have a boat, and they're calling on Odin to halt the tide.

I leave it to Odin the regulators to decide what's best.

Tesla seems to purport that there are mechanisms that can be implemented to avoid the interference that the FCC looks to avoid. If Tesla wants testing to determine if holds that to be true, is that strong-arming?

I dunno.

Tesla seems to purport that there are mechanisms that can be implemented to avoid the interference that the FCC looks to avoid. If Tesla wants testing to determine if holds that to be true, is that strong-arming?
Those mechanisms are expected to be part of "any modern, capable, and well-designed" satellite system. So SpaceX is essentially taunting Globalstar into either agreeing to SpaceX's demands or have their system be branded either outdated, incapable or poorly-designed. That's a play for the regulators, of course. "Surely you can see that we can all cooperate, so long as they've done their job correctly. What's that? Globalstar won't work despite us doing everything right? Well, that's on them, not us."

Regardless of whether that's "strong-arming" or not, it's decidedly corporate hardball.

just saw a Starlink commercial (15s) while watching Perry Mason on a retro station
Now that's a specific demographic.

Don't think I've seen this elsewhere here

Cool to see the oscillations from the solar array's drive motors (mostly the axis rotating around the sat), and also how the mass participation is large enough that the whole satellite is reacting in kind. (If you focus on where the earth horizon meets the edge of the video frame you can see that the whole satellite is oscillating in reaction to the wing moving.)

The user beams are so narrow and have such a sharp rolloff that its likely this kind of pointing oscillation has to be accounted for in the beamformer to make sure users at the edge of a beam don't bounce in and out of their link closing--In other words, the beam directions are likely oscillating 'opposite' to the satellite/atenna oscillation, so the beam footprint on the ground stays stable.

Edit: Oh yeah, I guess also the eclipse is cool too. :p

Don't think I've seen this elsewhere here

Cool to see the oscillations from the solar array's drive motors (mostly the axis rotating around the sat), and also how the mass participation is large enough that the whole satellite is reacting in kind. (If you focus on where the earth horizon meets the edge of the video frame you can see that the whole satellite is oscillating in reaction to the wing moving.)

The user beams are so narrow and have such a sharp rolloff that its likely this kind of pointing oscillation has to be accounted for in the beamformer to make sure users at the edge of a beam don't bounce in and out of their link closing--In other words, the beam directions are likely oscillating 'opposite' to the satellite/atenna oscillation, so the beam footprint on the ground stays stable.

Edit: Oh yeah, I guess also the eclipse is cool too. :p
You realize that’s a Timelapse and sped up?