Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - IFT-3 - Starbase TX - Pre-Launch Preparations Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long can these cryogenic liquids stay liquid without boiling off when in space?
To add to @Cosmacelf's answer, I'll add a point of reference: the James Web Space Telescope is sitting at a Lagrange point with a sunshield, and the mirrors remain at 55K. Oxygen stays liquid between 54K and 90K. Methane is 91K to 112K. So if you can isolate from energy coming from Sun, Earth and Moon, you're in pretty good shape.

Hydrogen needs roughly 20K to 30K to go liquid, depending on pressure.

I don’t think anyone really knows yet. NASA let a small contract to four industry partners to come up with on orbit refueling concepts a couple of years ago. SpaceX will have to engineer something for their depots. It might involve active cooling with energy from solar panels. Certainly the JWST showed how you can super cool something in space for an extended period of time.
JWST is not really a good baseline as it has a far more benign and directionally constant thermal loading together with lots of deep space to radiate to. Low earth orbit provides much larger thermal loads coming from a large arc which changes throughout the orbit.

I am not that familiar with JWST, but in general the proportion (and mass) of shielded telescopes that are supercooled is relatively small. In the case of a Starship acting as a tanker I presume we would be talking about half to two thirds of the ship storing CH4 and LOX.

JWST is not really a good baseline as it has a far more benign and directionally constant thermal loading together with lots of deep space to radiate to. Low earth orbit provides much larger thermal loads coming from a large arc which changes throughout the orbit.

Yep. JWST just has to not point the important bits at the sun and the thermal situation is gravy--there's really no transient loads to manage throughout the orbit. Something in low earth orbit gets very dynamic short period thermal loading from both the sun and the earth's albedo over multiple orbits per day, and then also longer period thermal dynamics as the orbit's beta angle precesses (beta is basically the angle of the orbit to the sun). Even in eclipse a LEO comms satellite is typically managing [high] load on its earth facing panel (the earth facing panel doesn't spend a lot of time actually in the sun).

Regarding cryogenics in space there's at least plenty of short term data from upper stages. Most 4/5m rockets actually use them; generally the longest data available would be ~single digit hours.

How long can these cryogenic liquids stay liquid without boiling off when in space?
Indefinitely, if you can deflect enough incoming radiation (from sun and Earth; the Moon's contribution is measurable but probably insignificant). A reflective Mylar sunshade or equivalent would do the trick, although it might also severely irritate astronomers. A potential approach is to keep the nose of the depot pointed directly at the sun, with a reflective sunshade keeping the entire ship in solar shadow. Then shade one side of the depot as well, facing the shaded side towards Earth at all times, except perhaps for a few minutes each orbit in twilight when it would be problematic for astronomy. Gyroscopic flywheels should be capable of performing the rotation; it shouldn't take reaction mass. JWST has shown that the sunshade approach can be extremely effective, although as noted, the dynamic lighting (Earth + sun) in LEO is much trickier than at L2.

I don't think astronomers should complain. We are talking about a few Starship - 2 or 3 at max - in LEO at anytime, compared to thousands of Starlink satellites.
Hey, astronomers are people too.

I think astronomers are only going to complain until telescopes start getting built on orbit with Starships. Those things are going to be so large that astronomers will be gobsmacked into silence.

Perhaps the Depot Starship not only carries liquid fuel, it should also have the rigs to create LOX from say liquid water, using power generated from Solar panels... just a crazy idea.
I was curious enough to do some math.

It takes 53 kWh to generate 1 kg of hydrogen and 8 kg of oxygen from 9 kg of water. So if you have a 53 megawatt array, you can produce 1,000 times that per hour. Per week, that works out to 168 tons of hydrogen and 1,344 tons of oxygen. Usable amounts for spacecraft.

Of course, that's a monstrous array suitable only for a big orbital fuel depot. In contrast, the ISS arrays generate around 100 kilowatts. So I'm talking about something 500 times larger.

If you devoted all of the ISS power generation to hydrolysis, in a week you'd generate 316 kg of hydrogen and 2,528 kg of oxygen. That's why you need a such a large array.

Once you have your monster depot, you switch to hydrolox engines for near-Earth operations so that you take full advantage of the byproducts of electrolysis. Interestingly, hydrolox engines run hydrogen-rich, so you'd be accumulating excess oxygen. That oxygen could be used for air, or even for gas thrusters. "We have so much oxygen, we're throwing it away."

Note that if you go hydrolox, you can draw on your propellants for power generation via a fuel cell when solar isn't available. Apollo did this in the command module.

Certainly transporting water around would be a lot safer than transporting hydrogen or methane.

One downside to solar cells is that they're massive and they degrade, so you'd have to replace them at intervals. Bleh.

Here's a company doing hydrolysis for hydrogen generation using solar collectors and smaller devices to perform the actual hydrolysis. They can generate a kilogram in 16 hours relying on light collected by a 7 meter wide parabolic dish. That's 16 hours of production time. On orbit, that could be continuous (barring limits on the devices due to heating, etc).

The 7 meter dish is 38 square meters. To get a kilogram per hour, that would be 615 square meters. To get a ton per hour, that would be 615,000 square meters, or a single dish 884 meters across. You'd actually use many, smaller dishes, but that's the scale involved. It avoids the problem of solar cell degradation, but I assume that the reflectors would degrade as well. Perhaps they could be polished/refurbished on orbit. It's not a very advanced technology.

This system also generates heat, and you'd have to do something with that. You can get some more power with Stirling engines, but eventually you need to dump it, so you also need big radiators.

Green hydrogen is a tough nut to crack, but I'd say well worth the effort.

I don't think astronomers should complain. We are talking about a few Starship - 2 or 3 at max - in LEO at anytime, compared to thousands of Starlink satellites.
At first, yes. But if Elon's dreams come true of sending 1000 Starships to Mars every couple years, it will be far more than that. Of course, by that time we'll be able to place enormous telescopes in orbit equally well, so maybe the astronomers will be ok with it after all.

Reactions: Grendal
Perhaps the Depot Starship not only carries liquid fuel, it should also have the rigs to create LOX from say liquid water, using power generated from Solar panels... just a crazy idea.
If you think reflective Starships might upset astronomers, just wait til you add several acres of solar panels to each one! Nuclear may be better suited as a power source for that reason, though that may make it a greater environmental hazard than just launching LOX+LH2 in the first place. And with H20 you have freezing to worry about as well as boiling; the net energy flux needs to be close to zero in either case to keep the fuel tank contents at a constant temperature. Once we're on the Moon or Mars, where we can obtain raw materials, then ISPP (in-situ propellant production) is essential. But probably not on-orbit, I think.

Indefinitely, if you can deflect enough incoming radiation (from sun and Earth; the Moon's contribution is measurable but probably insignificant). A reflective Mylar sunshade or equivalent would do the trick, although it might also severely irritate astronomers. A potential approach is to keep the nose of the depot pointed directly at the sun, with a reflective sunshade keeping the entire ship in solar shadow. Then shade one side of the depot as well, facing the shaded side towards Earth at all times, except perhaps for a few minutes each orbit in twilight when it would be problematic for astronomy. Gyroscopic flywheels should be capable of performing the rotation; it shouldn't take reaction mass. JWST has shown that the sunshade approach can be extremely effective, although as noted, the dynamic lighting (Earth + sun) in LEO is much trickier than at L2.
You seem to envisage a sunshade which is mounted away from the ship, as is the case with JWST and a number of other telescopes. My understanding is that the reason for having a shade distanced from the surface of the telescope is to reduce distortion of the telescope hence improving accuracy/performance. In the case of Starship that would not be an issue and surface mounting the insulation would be far preferable. This is already done with the thermal blankets and tiles which cover the reentry surfaces (and which do not appear to frost when fuel and LOX are loaded). I was surprised when the ships which were thought to be for testing ship to ship prop loading did not have the thermal blankets/tiles - fully tiling those parts of the orbital tanker ship which cover the fuel/LOX tanks would seem a simple way to use existing proven technology to reduce the heat absorbed by the ship.

Orienting the nose of the ship to the sun would reduce the solar load but not sure how efficient it would be. A simpler alternative used in the past is a slow rotation of the ship so that one side of the ship does not get all the solar heating. This is also effective when in the orbit 'night' for spreading the earth heating.

In the case of Starship...surface mounting the insulation would be far preferable.

Yep. The only caveat to work is that, with the exception of tiles designed for the exposure to a launch/re-entry environment, insulation is pretty fragile. So...you'd probably want to deploy something once on orbit, and a shade will typically end up being a bit easier to deploy than something more form fitting or surface mounted.

A simpler alternative used in the past is a slow rotation of the ship so that one side of the ship does not get all the solar heating. This is also effective when in the orbit 'night' for spreading the earth heating.

FWIW barbecue rolling of A Thing In Space is typically used to more evenly distribute thermal energy hitting The Thing; it does not reduce the total exposure to thermal energy. Usually the goal is to a) mitigate thermal overload on a particular external component/panel, or b) ensure specific components don't get too cold (notably, mechanisms).

Especially in a rocket body that is essentially All Tank it's possible there's a secondary upside to the roll that results in a smaller thermal gradient across the propellant itself, but overall the vehicle is still subject to the same amount of thermal energy from the sun + earth...and thus its likely there will be ~similar boil-off vs a non-rolling vehicle (that's otherwise in the same orientation).

You seem to envisage a sunshade which is mounted away from the ship, as is the case with JWST and a number of other telescopes. My understanding is that the reason for having a shade distanced from the surface of the telescope is to reduce distortion of the telescope hence improving accuracy/performance. In the case of Starship that would not be an issue and surface mounting the insulation would be far preferable. This is already done with the thermal blankets and tiles which cover the reentry surfaces (and which do not appear to frost when fuel and LOX are loaded). I was surprised when the ships which were thought to be for testing ship to ship prop loading did not have the thermal blankets/tiles - fully tiling those parts of the orbital tanker ship which cover the fuel/LOX tanks would seem a simple way to use existing proven technology to reduce the heat absorbed by the ship.

Orienting the nose of the ship to the sun would reduce the solar load but not sure how efficient it would be. A simpler alternative used in the past is a slow rotation of the ship so that one side of the ship does not get all the solar heating. This is also effective when in the orbit 'night' for spreading the earth heating.
A different way to think about it: at thermal equilibrium, the "average temperature" as seen in all directions from the Depot's point of view must be the same temperature as the fuel. (About -180 °C.) Ironically, the boiling point of LOX (-183 °C) is slightly lower than the freezing point of CH4 (-182 °C), so the whole ship can never exactly reach thermal equilibrium. "Deep space" is much colder than that; the Earth is much warmer, and the sun is obviously extremely hot. The equilibrium blackbody temperature at 1AU from the sun ("average temperature in all directions") is around -18 °C. To keep a spacecraft below this, radiation from the sun must be diverted, not just insulated; that's why the sun shield should ideally be separate from the spacecraft, and reflective, not just insulating. (Or it could be attached at a point, like an umbrella.) Gold foil or aluminized film (e.g. Kapton) is also very effective at reflecting infrared wavelengths, which could be helpful on the Earth-facing side, and possibly enough if it were on the nose, with the nose kept facing the sun. Stainless steel is not terrible (about 90% reflective), but Kapton would be an improvement, if it could be deployed post-launch. I doubt it could survive Max-Q if applied in advance, but maybe?

Stainless steel is not terrible (about 90% reflective), but Kapton would be an improvement,
I doubt Starship is going to be anywhere close to 90% reflective in practice.

An alternative to modifying each tanker Starship to have its own thermal management is to launch a structure that deploys on orbit to serve as a large sun shade - or to even envelope a Starship like a docking bay. So you launch a tanker Starship, either dock with the shade or park in its shadow, then other ships can come along and dock with the tanker.

If the tanking process involves translation, then the tanker would only stay in the shade while in storage. It would tank another ship, then move back into storage.

Such a shade could be truly massive - though it's another one of those things that would infuriate astronomers. Maybe SpaceX should create Starview satellites that form a constellation of thousands of orbiting telescopes that collectively provide absurd levels of observing power. That might keep the astronomers happy.

Yep. The only caveat to work is that, with the exception of tiles designed for the exposure to a launch/re-entry environment, insulation is pretty fragile.
That is why I specifically referred to the existing thermal blanket and tiles used on Starship - they are designed to withstand launch.
FWIW barbecue rolling of A Thing In Space is typically used to more evenly distribute thermal energy hitting The Thing; it does not reduce the total exposure to thermal energy.
I did not claim that it reduced the total exposure (because as you say, that would be completely incorrect). What it does is it reduces the heat transferred to the propellant and hence boil off (because it reduces localized high surface temperatures - point (a) in your list. Higher surface temperatures mean higher thermal gradients to drive the heat transfer to the propellant).

There may well also be a secondary benefit if the tiles have some thermal capacitance.

A different way to think about it: at thermal equilibrium, the "average temperature" as seen in all directions from the Depot's point of view must be the same temperature as the fuel. (About -180 °C.) Ironically, the boiling point of LOX (-183 °C) is slightly lower than the freezing point of CH4 (-182 °C), so the whole ship can never exactly reach thermal equilibrium. "Deep space" is much colder than that; the Earth is much warmer, and the sun is obviously extremely hot. The equilibrium blackbody temperature at 1AU from the sun ("average temperature in all directions") is around -18 °C. To keep a spacecraft below this, radiation from the sun must be diverted, not just insulated; that's why the sun shield should ideally be separate from the spacecraft, and reflective, not just insulating. (Or it could be attached at a point, like an umbrella.) Gold foil or aluminized film (e.g. Kapton) is also very effective at reflecting infrared wavelengths, which could be helpful on the Earth-facing side, and possibly enough if it were on the nose, with the nose kept facing the sun. Stainless steel is not terrible (about 90% reflective), but Kapton would be an improvement, if it could be deployed post-launch. I doubt it could survive Max-Q if applied in advance, but maybe?
Sorry, this average temperature for thermal equilibrium is not a good way to think about it as it does not represent what Starship will experience. Firstly it is ignoring any radiative inputs from the Earth and secondly it assumes heat absorbed on the hot side of the craft is somehow transported to the cold side of the craft for radiation to deep space.

I did a quick calculation for the sun facing surface. To get thermal equilibrium for a black body experiencing 1360 w/M2 solar radiation the surface temperature will be 394 kelvin (so 121 C).

The Multilayer Insulation (MLI) often used on spacecraft (and which I assume SpaceX is using for the thermal blankets we see below the thermal tiles) consists of multiple layers of gold or aluminized film. Hence they are effectively the same as the shield you are proposing. What thermal benefit do you think is obtained by mounting these separate to the spacecraft?

Sorry, this average temperature for thermal equilibrium is not a good way to think about it as it does not represent what Starship will experience. Firstly it is ignoring any radiative inputs from the Earth and secondly it assumes heat absorbed on the hot side of the craft is somehow transported to the cold side of the craft for radiation to deep space.

I did a quick calculation for the sun facing surface. To get thermal equilibrium for a black body experiencing 1360 w/M2 solar radiation the surface temperature will be 394 kelvin (so 121 C).

The Multilayer Insulation (MLI) often used on spacecraft (and which I assume SpaceX is using for the thermal blankets we see below the thermal tiles) consists of multiple layers of gold or aluminized film. Hence they are effectively the same as the shield you are proposing. What thermal benefit do you think is obtained by mounting these separate to the spacecraft?
Earth is almost net zero in terms of its total thermal effect relative to it not being there. Its radiation warms up the spacecraft of course, but that's balanced by the spacecraft being in Earth's shadow half the time, which blocks the much hotter sun. It does change the geometric distribution of incident energy of course, and a sunshade floating independently from Starship blocking the entire side of the ship would probably be infeasible, so the attached thermal blanket is necessary there. But for the nose shade (if the nose is always pointed towards the sun), my idea was that thermal energy that does make it through the sunshade will re-radiate isotropically (and thus mostly to deep space) if the shade is placed at some distance, whereas if it's right on the ship's skin, all the energy that makes it through the MLI will heat the spacecraft. Perhaps that extra optimization is not necessary, but that's what I was thinking when I suggested it.

It may also be possible to kill two birds with one stone by positioning the depot's solar panels as a nose sunshade. Energy from those panels could drive gyroscopic flywheels to keep the craft properly oriented. (And perhaps provide rotational inertia to settle propellant during transfer.) There are many ways to solve these problems of course, I'm just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
That is why I specifically referred to the existing thermal blanket and tiles used on Starship - they are designed to withstand launch.

So your solution requires fully tiling/blanketing Starship. Got it.

The Multilayer Insulation (MLI) often used on spacecraft (and which I assume SpaceX is using for the thermal blankets we see below the thermal tiles) consists of multiple layers of gold or aluminized film. Hence they are effectively the same as the shield you are proposing.

Starship blankets will not be what most people think of when they hear "MLI". Typical space vehicle MLI (the gold or black stuff we see on the outside of satellites) is very thin and fragile layers of mylar and plastic mesh that would all but disintegrate in a launch or reentry environment (they practically disintegrate on the shop floor). For space vehicle blankets that see higher thermal loads (notably those around thrusters, but also many of the leeward parts of Shuttle) the material is significantly more robust and thicker/heavier than typical MLI. It's typically woven material on the outside (think really coarse fiberglass) and some kind of heat tolerant batting (glass, quartz).

What thermal benefit do you think is obtained by mounting these separate to the spacecraft?

The benefit is mass efficiency. Fully 'thermalizing' a Starship will result in lower performance and likely more maintenance/servicing. At ~4kg/m2 that's ~1.5T or so to blanket the leeward side of the tanks. An external shield on orbit would probably only need a single layer of mylar (SLI--it's becoming more common as a replacement for MLI) which is ~tens of grams/m2 or, near as makes no difference, weightless. That's a lot of mass available for a deployment structure...

I'd also speculate that Starship refueling will ultimately first principal to a persistent transfer station on orbit; that transfer station can accommodate a thermal shield/enclosure. Maybe less Star Trek Space Station and more Pop Up Car Port On Orbit, but..you get the idea...

Earth is almost net zero in terms of its total thermal effect relative to it not being there.

Indeed Earth's albedo is ~1/3 of the solar energy hitting earth, and if you hand-wave a LEO orbit as 2/3 sun and 1/3 eclipse, the total solar energy a vehicle receives is ~equivalent to a vehicle in full sun [without any albedo influence].

But, just to make sure folks don't get the wrong idea here, Earth's albedo is absolutely a major factor in LEO design; it is absolutely NOT considered a net zero influence by thermal engineers. In context of this cryo-in-space thought experiment it is absolutely a major consideration.

Reactions: Grendal and Ben W