Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Integrated Flight Test #2 - Starbase TX - Including Post Launch Dissection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would make sense. I agree, strange to have backup days before the primary day.
I wonder if it could be that they're playing head games with the government guys. Imagine that FAA tells SpaceX that they'll have the launch license for the 1st. SpaceX goes off and announces that they'll launch on the 6th - but earlier if conditions allow. That would be a way for SpaceX to say "We think you'll be late; prove us wrong."

It's fun to theorize on zero information :)

• Funny
Reactions: scaesare
FWS is checking on deluge
Maybe the deluge system test yesterday was for the benefit of the FWS. Note that yesterday that deluge test did not occur where it normally would have in a full WDR, which would be a few seconds before engine ignition, right? The deluge test yesterday was before tanking, if I recall correctly.

EDIT: correction, after reviewing some of the posts on Tuesday in the Starship Dev thread it appears that the deluge test was about 2 hours after de-tanking started, so after the WDR.

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo and JB47394
Maybe the deluge system test yesterday was for the benefit of the FWS. Note that yesterday that deluge test did not occur where it normally would have in a full WDR, which would be a few seconds before engine ignition, right? The deluge test yesterday was before tanking, if I recall correctly.

EDIT: correction, after reviewing some of the posts on Tuesday in the Starship Dev thread it appears that the deluge test was about 2 hours after de-tanking started, so after the WDR.
Yah, it might have been representative of the amount of liquid water that escapes the plate.

FAA has completed the safety review.
FAA Statement
The FAA completed the safety review portion of the SpaceX Starship-Super Heavy license evaluation on Oct. 31.
Background

A safety review is focused on issues that affect public health and safety of property. It consists of evaluating the applicant's safety organization, system safety processes, flight safety analysis, and quantitative risk criteria for launch, reentry, and vehicle disposal.

The FAA is continuing to work on the environmental review. As part of its environmental review, the FAA is consulting with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) on an updated Biological Assessment under the Endangered Species Act. The FAA and the USFWS must complete this consultation before the environmental review portion of the license evaluation is completed.

It's my understanding that the FTS box is just so high up while stacked that they physically can't reach it.
I think that is correct but then one wonders why the launch tower doesn’t have a special extendable arm just for FTS arming. Seems like a relatively simple thing to build. And would it have to be an arm that can safely support a human? Why not a remote controlled arm?

De-stacking and re-stacking just to arm the FTS seems…excessive.

I expect that when Starships are launching weekly the FTS arming process is going to be very different from what we see right now.

I think that is correct but then one wonders why the launch tower doesn’t have a special extendable arm just for FTS arming. Seems like a relatively simple thing to build. And would it have to be an arm that can safely support a human? Why not a remote controlled arm?

De-stacking and re-stacking just to arm the FTS seems…excessive.

I expect that when Starships are launching weekly the FTS arming process is going to be very different from what we see right now.
Normally, one would arm before stacking and stack close to flight. SpaceX only has so many stands for Starship, so they are storing it on the booster.