Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX v1.2 (FT) Core Discussion - Block 3, 4, and 5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Redirecting this thread back onto its subject. SpaceX lost a Block 5 booster today on its 5th payload launch. An anomaly in one engine late in its burn caused it to RUD in some way, forcing the other eight engines to make an extra long burn to compensate. The booster successfully got its payload into its assigned orbit but was lost sometime after the entry burn completed on its way back. SpaceX's aspirational goals for Block 5 is 10 launches without massive refurbishment. B1048 made it to 5. Overall, reuse is working. Maybe SpaceX needs to make more Falcon 9 boosters than they thought they would though.

Given that probably no post-Apollo human is going to set foot on the Moon for at least another 5 years and maybe 8, I am not ruling out humans on Mars before the Moon. Elon’s drive to colonize Mars is immense! I just hope the effort doesn’t kill him.

I'm curious why you believe SpaceX would not do a Moon landing before a manned trip to Mars? If Starship is fully developed and tested enough to make the journey to Mars and back, why not do a final test by landing on the Moon beforehand?
Assuming of course there is no creative way to get around the Moon dust problem. Perhaps even adapt a Dragon II to take 2 or 3 to the surface and back.

Redirecting this thread back onto its subject. SpaceX lost a Block 5 booster today on its 5th payload launch. An anomaly in one engine late in its burn caused it to RUD in some way, forcing the other eight engines to make an extra long burn to compensate. The booster successfully got its payload into its assigned orbit but was lost sometime after the entry burn completed on its way back. SpaceX's aspirational goals for Block 5 is 10 launches without massive refurbishment. B1048 made it to 5. Overall, reuse is working. Maybe SpaceX needs to make more Falcon 9 boosters than they thought they would though.
I sure hope we get past 5 soon. This was a made-it-to-5-but-barely (the primary mission was successful).

1049 is the next candidate as it has four missions under its sooty belt. It chucked some Starlinks on 1/7, and as mentioned on the live stream their refurb time stands at 2 months right now. So it should be good to go.

Reactions: Grendal