Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm not really expecting this to do anything reasonable. If we really want to have any kind of space race we need someone with silicon valley like ambitions and purpose to lead the space race from europe. As Estonia has been coined multiple times as the Silicon Valley of Europe (highest per capita startups, loads of successful ones like Skype, Transferwise, Erply, Kazaa etc etc) wouldn't it be a nice thing to start a decent space delivery company ;) But I think it will be a tough sell. And who the heck would want to bet against Elon Musk ;)

I suspect these guys are toast, especially if SpaceX gets the reusability thing working. SpaceX is a disruptive innovator and they'd have to utterly change their organization if they hope to compete with them.

The trouble with that is that unlike US where you have a federal government that surpasses the local states and takes care of such things with its own budget, then in EU it's really a bunch of countries working together and the politics involved are of multiple parties even though there's EU common budget for some things etc. This will mean that if it's slimmed down to just a few partners to maximize the efficiency, then most funders will back out of this and the whole system is in trouble. The main reason this might be an issue is that EU will lose access to space that is independent of other countries. That is in the long run a so-so result. While I believe that with Elon on top SpaceX will not abuse their monopoly, but after Elon retires on Mars we might be in some problematic regions if no other company takes this up enough.

But I do root for SpaceX as they're clearly on the right path and the underdog still. I'll worry about their monopoly in a decade ;)

Well, if SpaceX is ultimately successful with reusability, the satellite industry will be bigger, albeit there will be a continued focus on lowering cost due to a lower cost of failure. I think SES has made a very smart decision to collaborate closely with SpaceX.

And if SpaceX abuses its future monopoly to charge exorbitant prices (only 1/50th of current prices instead of 1/100th?) at least you can assume the ill-gotten gains will be going into Mars exploration.

My only concern with extremely cheap satellite launches is this:

esa5ynu5.jpg

(Credit: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_1283.html)

Next week the Senate Appropriations Committee’s defense subcommittee will hear from SpaceX (Elon Musk) and ULA on military space launch issues.
It will interesting to see how much Elon pushes their significant cost advantagesover ULA. ULA finally has true competition.

http://www.spacepolitics.com/2014/02/26/senate-appropriators-to-hear-from-spacex-and-ula-on-military-space-launch-issues/?utm_source=feedly&utm_reader=feedly&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=senate-appropriators-to-hear-from-spacex-and-ula-on-military-space-launch-issues

Status
Not open for further replies.