Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon is a minority shareholder in Tesla. He is an even smaller investor in SolarCity and is on the board but I certainly would not call him the "owner".

I would call him the "owner" of SpaceX.

Elon is currently worth more money because of Tesla. In the long run, SpaceX will make him the most rich. I expect that Elon will cash in a lot of his wealth to make humanity multi-planetary in the long run. I can easily see that if it costs him $10 or $20 billion to see his dream fulfilled, he would do it.

Last edited:
But to loop back on the original "owner" assertion that started this digression, while he is now a minority shareholder in all three companies, it is very clear that he strategically controls all three companies (probably less so with Solarcity).

But to loop back on the original "owner" assertion that started this digression, while he is now a minority shareholder in all three companies, it is very clear that he strategically controls all three companies (probably less so with Solarcity).

For SpaceX before the recent Google/Fidelity equity investment, Musk was estimated to have about 65%. There hasn't been much change before that for many years other than liquidity rounds once or twice a year to give employees a chance to sell. Google's investment diluted his ownership a bit but he still ought to have a solid majority and mostly friends and employees represent the rest.
The Google/Fidelity round gave SpaceX a market cap over $10B and put Musk's net worth at about $12B with SpaceX and Tesla about half and half and Solar City in the margins.

For SpaceX before the recent Google/Fidelity equity investment, Musk was estimated to have about 65%. There hasn't been much change before that for many years other than liquidity rounds once or twice a year to give employees a chance to sell. Google's investment diluted his ownership a bit but he still ought to have a solid majority and mostly friends and employees represent the rest.
The Google/Fidelity round gave SpaceX a market cap over $10B and put Musk's net worth at about $12B with SpaceX and Tesla about half and half and Solar City in the margins.

Really 65%? That seems too high. Do you have a source for this? I would have guessed 20-50%.

Using Forbes Networth of 12.2B (April 11, 2015) and ~35M shares of TSLA @ $210 and 28% stake in solarcity (27M shares @ $56) you get a net $3.3B unaccounted for.

So, if SpaceX is worth $12B, musk owns about 25%.

Tesla: $7.35B (27% stake)
SolarCity: $1.51B (28% stake)
SpaceX: $3.3B (25% stake)

SpaceX named in the Top 50 Disrupters list at #2.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102618259

Here is an interview with Gwynne Shotwell about the disrupter win. The questions are basic and simple. The questions also show a big lack of knowledge of the company.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000378596&play=1

The money questions seem to stem from trying to connect SpaceX with Tesla. The outsiders seem to think they both work in the same way when they clearly do not.

Last edited:
Just found this. For anyone really into the hard science side of SpaceX, here is a lengthy video showing the fluid and combustion dynamics of rocketry:

SpaceX Merlin (D, GPU-Powered - YouTube

I am assuming that this is how SpaceX is making their improvements to the Merlin engine. It was recently announced that there will be additional improvement to the Merlin 1-D of something like 20%. Some of that is probably hardware and some of it could easily be fine tuning the fluid/combustion dynamics to create an improvement to the efficiency and force of the burn. Amazing stuff.

Here is a video of how the Merlin engine works as told by Tom Mueller, a founding member and VP at SpaceX, explaining the basic details:

Tom Mueller (SpaceX) Explains The Merlin Rocket Engine - YouTube

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.