Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SPAN - Smart Electrical Panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't used it but have had them pitch it. It appears a pretty cool solution for giving flexibility to move loads on or off backup.

Potentially could be used for a slick 2x200 setup as well to accomplish whole home backup without reducing service throughput when on grid.

No mention on their product page or in anything I could find about an available API to integrate against. After being burned a few times with walled garden home IoT devices I've vowed to only use products that at least have some API available. This product looks great but would need those features to get my dollars.

I like the idea of this and plan on moving my main beaker panel from the basement (I'm in a flood zone in NY). I have no intention of replacing my "dumb" panel with another "dumb" panel. I never wanted a critical loads panel and want to run what i want from whatever source I want. The span panel is only 32 circuits and isnt big enough to replace my current panel. I am likely going with a Leviton load center. It does not have the application and automation the span panel does. Its more of a manual process for managing loads. its also a fraction of the cost of the span from what i'm hearing and they have panels big enough to replace my current panel. It does have monitoring and tracking of power used on each breaker and you can turn them off wirelessly to shed load.

I'm in the middle of my 14kw solar roof install right now with 3 PW and 1 Gateway. I have a 200amp service coming in from the street. I like the SPAN but agree with @h2ofun - KISS philosophy. Just curious, how much is that Leviton unit?
I want the fewest things from certain companies only. Who knows how long they will be in business. We are starting to see lots of businesses here throw in the towel.

I'm in the middle of my 14kw solar roof install right now with 3 PW and 1 Gateway. I have a 200amp service coming in from the street. I like the SPAN but agree with @h2ofun - KISS philosophy. Just curious, how much is that Leviton unit?
its more comparable to a regular panel. empty with no brakers its less than $300 on amazon. thats for the 42 circuit one. if you add all wifi brakers you're looking at around $2500
I want the fewest things from certain companies only. Who knows how long they will be in business. We are starting to see lots of businesses here throw in the towel.
Leviton has been in business for decades. A family owned business on Long Island.

Reactions: EightBitWhit
I’m considering Span, just had chat with a rep and it’s fits in well for me. My only concern is longevity of the company, I just had two devices at home become paper weights after the company folded within 3 yrs.
I thought about this but again said, some parts of the house just make sense to keep KISS. Roof first. Subpanels, another, IMO. Risk of support is main issue, which is real.

I’m considering Span, just had chat with a rep and it’s fits in well for me. My only concern is longevity of the company, I just had two devices at home become paper weights after the company folded within 3 yrs.

I am in the same situation. I get that this takes standard breakers, which helps if they go out of business. It seems like if you need a new panel anyway, it might be worth it over a standard panel but if you are looking to upgrade for no reason, it is a giant waste of $. Still, it seems like stuff can break over the long-run, which is cause for concern.

The Leviton panel also looks interesting but Span seems much more useful. Any detailed comps out there?

Last edited:
Reactions: chadconway