Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Spare tire options for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out Modern Spare is strapped to the ceiling of the trunk. Not just for trips; a flat can cramp your style anywhere (late for something critical?).
Spare Tire Mounted.jpg

I have a Hyundai Genesis compact spare that I carry for a spare In my Model 3 with stock 18” wheels. My brother borrowed it for a cross country trip. He used it for almost 1000 miles on his Model Y with stock 19” wheel’s before the wire started to try to escape the tire. It worked fine despite being the wrong size and more miles than any sane person would do.

I have some Mazda 3 wheels left over from a wheel change out - I wanted R16's on the Mazda instead of the R18's, so still have the R18's sitting around.

Trying to work out if one of them can serve as a Tesla Model 3 spare - from my research:

Mazda 3: 215/45R18 - 7.0J - Offset ET50 - Bore 67.1mm - 5x114.3
Tesla M3: 235/45R18 - 8.5J - Offset ET40 - Bore 64.1mm - 5x114.3

An increased positive offset pushes the tyre further in, so the Mazda is 10mm further in, but the tyre is also 20mm narrower, so the tyre should fit.

Rim is 1.5” narrower, so it should fit.

So it should fit ok - not sure about the wheel nuts though - will the Tesla wheel nuts seat correctly on a Mazda rim, or should I buy some Mazda wheel nuts...

Any thoughts?