Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 spare tire options? (Not modern spare)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kimwin - congrats.
Couple of things I picked up on, using the kit in anger:
Ground clearance with a flat on solid ground got down to 1.5" !!!
To get round this I use either a second jack to jack up the other end of the same side of the flat - giving me ground clearance at the flat tire end to insert the main scissor jack, OR a wooden ramp (I made for nothing) where I drive the flat up onto - giving me the required ground clearance.
[Don't forget - it is critical to chock your car to prevent it from moving at all once the scissor jack(s) are taking the weight.
Scissor jacks are NOTORIOUSLY UNSTABLE.

Here is some pictures of the spare tire kit in my M3 trunk. The trunk still has room for 2 small luggage (tested).
Out of the box, the zipper of the inner pocket (containing the jack, wrench, etc..) is broken, I had to break it off to open the inner pocket. The main bag is in good shape.
I did try to use the jack to lift the car up, works OK.

Attachments

• 20231109_141657.jpg
    20231109_141657.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20231110_083049.jpg
    20231110_083049.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231110_083108.jpg
    20231110_083108.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 26
Couple of things I picked up on, using the kit in anger:
Ground clearance with a flat on solid ground got down to 1.5" !!!
To get round this I use either a second jack to jack up the other end of the same side of the flat - giving me ground clearance at the flat tire end to insert the main scissor jack, OR a wooden ramp (I made for nothing) where I drive the flat up onto - giving me the required ground clearance.
[Don't forget - it is critical to chock your car to prevent it from moving at all once the scissor jack(s) are taking the weight.
Scissor jacks are NOTORIOUSLY UNSTABLE.

I am aware of all these while reading posts in this forum (thanks for all members). I have considered a wooden ramp (home made) to increase clearance) OR buy plastic ramps which are much lighter. (still searching for good ones that are wide enough)

Plenty of plastic ramps to choose from online but getting the right height/width/length ratio and of course the loading - is quite difficult. I went to the local builders yard and gave them a piece of paper with dimensions on.
They searched through offcuts, trimmed them and gave them to me for free!

I’ve seen some hung from the top of the trunk? Not exactly sure how that is done
I thought the modern spare fits in the extra storage below the trunk is that not the case?

Reactions: m3p-ev