Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually ended up buying the modern spare tire kit. Tried installing it using everything in their packaging. all I can say is that the quality is pretty bad ass. they had a good concept with the scissor jack and the rubber contact point helps with the grip. What I like the most is that the carrying case have pocket that holds the jack and the lug wrench to keep it everything looking clean. Also surprised seeing a disposable tire bag inside where you can put your flat tire to keep your trunk clean. so far it's cool.

I am not a fan of small temporary spare tires even though they store easily. When touring I need to have a full-sized spare that allows me to complete the tour without delay. There are remote places where modern tires sizes are not available and in our case we had ferry crossing reservations made six months earlier that could not be changed. We were on a schedule and only complete replacement of a blown tire with another of the same size and capability would work.

I came to this realization when our last car had run flat tires that have a limited range after puncture. After a tread separation problem that made a full sized spare the only roadside alternative to a tow truck and huge delay, I was sold on carrying the bigger spare.

Perhaps a small donut spare for city use is OK but when travelling across the country and into remote areas a full sized spare mitigates the risk best, in my opinion.

Tool and jack storage inside the full sized rim is not a problem and only a few pieces of packing foam are necessary to reduce rattles.

In the real world you can justify both sizes of spare tire but for long distance touring take the full sized one.