Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speakers not working and Media gets stuck, anyone experiencing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Lately this been happening more frequently that I can tolerate. Times in times the speakers doesn't work, specially when the screen takes 30-90 seconds to turn on. Not sure if is coincidence but this happens most of time when I turn off the car playing Podcasts from my phone.

The screen would take longer to turn on, and once on, speakers are not working, media is stuck like I can't change to radio or any other preferred stations.

Tried many times reseting by pressing the 2 wheel buttons, no success. Screen would go dark, and back and still problem persist, until I stop the car and restart it.

Hit or miss about 30% of time I have this problem now.

Appreciate if anyone had that experience. I'm 8500 miles driven.

Thanks
-Dan

Hey guys,

Lately this been happening more frequently that I can tolerate. Times in times the speakers doesn't work, specially when the screen takes 30-90 seconds to turn on. Not sure if is coincidence but this happens most of time when I turn off the car playing Podcasts from my phone.

The screen would take longer to turn on, and once on, speakers are not working, media is stuck like I can't change to radio or any other preferred stations.

Tried many times reseting by pressing the 2 wheel buttons, no success. Screen would go dark, and back and still problem persist, until I stop the car and restart it.
When you say the screen is slow "turning on," do you mean when you first get into the car? Is it only after the car has been asleep or any time it turns on? Are you seeing the Tesla "T" logo on the screen when it turns on? If so, I think that is the MCU rebooting. If it does that frequently, it may be bad or it might just be a bad firmware update. A friend had no sound (at all--not even turn signals) on her brand new Model 3, and MCU rebooted every time car turned on. They ended up replacing the MCU. I'd have service take a look.

Have had similar issue. I would say happens 10-15% of the time getting into the car. Super annoying. Take a picture on you rohonw when it's happening and send an email with the pic to your local service center. The service center will reference the picture time to see what the car is doing behind the scenes. I am too lazy to do that my self. Lol

Please report findings.

Hey guys, issue keeps happening and is getting worse. Probably will have to send to SC Costa Mesa, again... 3rd time in 9k miles. It's a bummer.

favo, thanks on the MCU thing, I will ask them about that. So answering your question, yes when I first get into the car... usually it happens when the last time I was using Phone Bluetooth playing podcast... If I don't use phone BT, seems to fail less... but when I use Podcasts... seems to be 50% of times... when is not is like 15% of times when I get in the car. Yes Screen is empty, no T logo for 30 seconds... then T logo and then display is On. I am able to drive the car though... it's just annoying and bad as I can't even hear the turn signal sound.

I have been having this same issue for the last 2 or 3 weeks. The frequency has been increasing, maybe 40% of the time now. I was hopping that it is a bug with the last update. If it persists after my next update, I’ll send a service center request asking about the MCU. If there was a service center closer to me, I would have gone by a couple weeks ago.

I've seen this issue a few times too.

I've found that I don't see the issue if I get in the car, don't hit the brake pedal to "start" the car, let the center stack boot-up, and then hit the brake pedal, it's ok. I think that trying to "start" the car and boot everything else up sometimes causes the audio system to not start-up properly.

It's definitely a software issue since many people have reported it and it started with v9.

I also have the issue. It really sucks because I won’t have any sound whatsoever for the duration of my commute (no music, turn signals, alerts, etc). It will usually come back on when I get back in my car for the drive home.

I also have the issue. It really sucks because I won’t have any sound whatsoever for the duration of my commute (no music, turn signals, alerts, etc). It will usually come back on when I get back in my car for the drive home.

You can fix it by pulling over, putting car in park, hitting the power-off button, waiting until the hvac system shuts down (1-2 minutes), pressing and holding the brake pedal and both steering wheel buttons at the same time, releasing button and brake once the screen resets and the Tesla T appears. That should get you sound back. Annoying, but better than driving without music.

Also having this problem of the radio stopping to play, and any streaming services also don't work -- this lasts for a couple of minutes, then they usually restart on their own. NOT a reasonable fix to pull over, and restart the car and recycle various electronics to get it to wake up properly.... this is SUPER annoying. Software version 8.5, but I think this problem has been around for awhile, at least in version 8.x. I'm going to put out an inquiry to Tesla service and see what they say.

Also having this problem of the radio stopping to play, and any streaming services also don't work -- this lasts for a couple of minutes, then they usually restart on their own. NOT a reasonable fix to pull over, and restart the car and recycle various electronics to get it to wake up properly.... this is SUPER annoying. Software version 8.5, but I think this problem has been around for awhile, at least in version 8.x. I'm going to put out an inquiry to Tesla service and see what they say.

you don't really need to pull over. The screen will reboot just fine while you're flying down the highway (whether you're comfortable doing this is another story).

you don't really need to pull over. The screen will reboot just fine while you're flying down the highway (whether you're comfortable doing this is another story).

Actually I knew this, but it seems wierd to reboot the displays system while driving.... like "flying blind" after being used to the feedback from the electronics, you wonder if it is safe to drive without the display. Perhaps it is psychological, but I'd want the display working while driving or else I think I'm missing critical info....

UPDATE: TESLA cust service advised to restart the vehicle this way. Seems more comprehensive than a screen reboot:

Often a vehicle may experience this if it has not rebooted the computers in a bit of time. Similar to a phone or tablet, this can cause features to not behave as they otherwise would. Please perform the troubleshooting steps below to reset:
  • Touchscreen reboot: Hold down your foot on the brake while holding in the two scroll wheel buttons (around 20 seconds) on the steering wheel. Do this until the Tesla ‘T’ appears on the touchscreen, and then let go for a restart.
  • Powercycle: Controls > Settings > Safety and Security > POWER OFF and confirm. Tap the brake pedal to turn the car on.
This should resolve your concern. If it does not, we would advise sending Bug Reports to our team to catalog.

=================================

A reasonable solution to weird buggy interface issues. This business of holding the brake pedal down while restarting perhaps restarts the software differently? You can see things like this with computers -- not all "reboot" commands do the same thing.

I followed this and the radio problems lessened but did not go away entirely. Still seems to quit occasionally, but not as often as before.... Strange, and I'll likely just bug report this. This affects the entire entertainment system, but driving functions work, just the sound stops and you can't change channels on the radio. If anyone else has seen this in a model 3 running 2019.8.5 it would be good to hear. If this is a real bug, it should affect a lot of others and have people posting about it, but I haven't found much at all in the Forums complaining about the sound system just freezing.

Hey guys,

Thanks
-Dan
Hey guys,

Thanks
-Dan

I had the same problem with the rear speakers not working, along with rear camera being black and taking several seconds to go live, and the screen resetting while driving, happened three times while on firmware 2019.8.5. One morning got in the car, rear speakers were working, screen reset, and when it came back the rear speakers never worked again. Tried resetting the car, screen power off, also scroll wheel reset with break pad, none of this worked. So took it into get Serviced by Tesla, they had the car one day and installed new firmware 2019.8.6.1, and now everything works. In addition when I put the car in reverse the rear camera comes on instantly now where as before it would sometimes be black. Looks like a lot of these issues are all firmware related. I own a Model 3, Dual Motor, extended range. Was told a new release will be coming out soon for everyone that fixes all these issues.