TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Speedometer Dashboard Screen Crash

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by MattM, Jun 13, 2013.

1. MattM

MattM Member

So, had an interesting one last night in La Jolla. I was driving along in my new Model S trying to use the right scroll wheel to close the sunroof and as soon as I clicked the wheel to select, the entire screen with the speedometer went black and a small white X showed up.

About 10-15 seconds later the screen rebooted and everything was fine but it was definitely a little sketchy because I had no idea if it would reboot or not.

Has anyone had that happen to them before while driving?

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

3. toto_48313

toto_48313 CAN P #5

If you keep the two top button pressed for 4 or 5 second, then you reboot the dashboard... so it sounds like you were holding too many buttons

4. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

I've extremely rarely had the dash display or touchscreen reboot without my intervention, I think maybe twice for the touchscreen and once for the dash display. That is in about 7 months and 13k miles. A lot more stable than anything some OS vendors from WA state put out! :tongue:

5. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Having an X come up with a spotted gray background is a crash (try rebooting it and you'll see it's different -- at least based on your description). Shouldn't happen frequently; in fact I've never seen the center console crash (only the 17" screen -- and it's been a while since that's happened).
    Would'nt hurt to email ownership and let them know it appeared to crash and what the date/time was.

6. MattM

MattM Member

Yeah I contacted service so we will see what they come up with.

7. rlang59

rlang59 Member

I had this happen once the night I picked up my car. Haven't seen it happen since.

8. JohnEC

JohnEC S 00443

That only happens on the 1.21 Gigawatt version. And you have to tap the panel a few times. :smile: