Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spikes like Gamestop? [spike in PV production]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the headline, but take a look at my spike at 10am to 5.3kwh and crash to 0kwh about 45 mins later. 5.1kw system, 3800 solaredge inverter.

What went on here?
Thanks
Screenshot_20210204-234410_Tesla.jpg

In isolation, I might have said that spike is due to a cloud-edge effect, where the edge of a cloud acts like a lens, creating a temporary, dramatic spike. But, based on the nearby production curve, I am guessing there was no cloud. The dip to me looks like what you might see if you had a brief fault knocking your system off line for a few minutes.

Did you happen to see this unfold real-time? That is, did you happen to see the spike in the graph before the dip appeared? As strange as it would be, one other possibility is this is just a data issue and Tesla somehow recorded that production data to the wrong time. It seems like the magnitude of the spike roughly matches the dip, and it would explain numbers that seem well beyond the capacity of your inverter.

Reactions: Wannaretire
In isolation, I might have said that spike is due to a cloud-edge effect, where the edge of a cloud acts like a lens, creating a temporary, dramatic spike. But, based on the nearby production curve, I am guessing there was no cloud. The dip to me looks like what you might see if you had a brief fault knocking your system off line for a few minutes.

Did you happen to see this unfold real-time? That is, did you happen to see the spike in the graph before the dip appeared? As strange as it would be, one other possibility is this is just a data issue and Tesla somehow recorded that production data to the wrong time. It seems like the magnitude of the spike roughly matches the dip, and it would explain numbers that seem well beyond the capacity of your inverter.
Thanks. Didn't see this real time.
I'll see if it happens again soon and post here. Cheers

Happened again. Screenshot for today below. I guess I need to look at solaredge online (not app) to find out what happened at 10am? Perhaps just an app glitch??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210205-162501_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210205-162501_Tesla.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 39
Happened again. Screenshot for today below. I guess I need to look at solaredge online (not app) to find out what happened at 10am? Perhaps just an app glitch??
it seems like it pretty much has to be a bug in the app - while having the production drop to zero at the same time could be some other issue causing a fault, the spike really has no other explanation. Since I think you said the spike is right at 10:00 AM, it may be that somehow that one reading later on is somehow losing/mis-reading the minutes data and placing it at 10:00. If you think about it tomorrow, check the app soon after this spike should happen and then around when the dip happens to try and confirm whether the spike appears immediately or only after the dip.

Reactions: Wannaretire
it seems like it pretty much has to be a bug in the app - while having the production drop to zero at the same time could be some other issue causing a fault, the spike really has no other explanation. Since I think you said the spike is right at 10:00 AM, it may be that somehow that one reading later on is somehow losing/mis-reading the minutes data and placing it at 10:00. If you think about it tomorrow, check the app soon after this spike should happen and then around when the dip happens to try and confirm whether the spike appears immediately or only after the dip.
Great idea. Thanks