Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 23.28.1 PV/production/inverter issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

YRide

Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2022
San Jose, CA
Looks like Tesla just updated my PW’s (4x) to 23.28.1 last night (from 23.12.11).

I noticed half way through the day my production was more then 50% down from normal (3kW instead of 6.6kW and 10.0kWh by 3p when I should be producing about 46kWh by 7p). After 1hr trying to convince the chat agent something was wrong (they were adamant I was within the acceptable production window) I finally decided to call into the 24/7 PW (not PV) team. They were 1000x more helpful.

I then learned this is a known issue. Apparently 23.28.1 is to mitigate an issue they were seeing in an earlier version of 23.4.2-2 or something.

Apparently the test needs to check each string (I have 7), at one per day. These string tests allegedly take up to a whole day, and will reduce production (effectively ruining off the string). Apparently this test is for some arc faults they were seeing…but I really didn’t get into the details.

Support said once testing complete if it doesn’t pass, a ticket will be auto-filed and on-site support will be scheduled. So it doesn’t sound minor. Also, no major “features” or enhancements in this release.

NOTE: I did just have the inverter replaced on this powerwall last week because of a clipping issue. Can’t rule that out, but according to Tesla PW Support, this is systemic and unrelated to new inverter. So systemic, that the had a briefer bulletin internally on it today.

Anyone else seeing / experiencing similar?

@swedge my saga continues!

Oh. Here’s what PV production looked like yesterday…vs the the day before (which is stay the last week has looked like).

Yesterday w/ 23.28.1 (down 50%)

IMG_7508.png

Day before (w 23.12.11)

IMG_7509.png

Also…yesterday with the new FW it seems the calculation for PW grid import was wrong. No way I pulled 101kWh to the powerwall from grid. Also, shows 0kWh for vehicle and home, which is clearly wrong from graph.

IMG_7510.png

Looks like Tesla just updated my PW’s (4x) to 23.28.1 last night (from 23.12.11).

I noticed half way through the day my production was more then 50% down from normal (3kW instead of 6.6kW and 10.0kWh by 3p when I should be producing about 46kWh by 7p). After 1hr trying to convince the chat agent something was wrong (they were adamant I was within the acceptable production window) I finally decided to call into the 24/7 PW (not PV) team. They were 1000x more helpful.

I then learned this is a known issue. Apparently 23.28.1 is to mitigate an issue they were seeing in an earlier version of 23.4.2-2 or something.

Apparently the test needs to check each string (I have 7), at one per day. These string tests allegedly take up to a whole day, and will reduce production (effectively ruining off the string). Apparently this test is for some arc faults they were seeing…but I really didn’t get into the details.

Support said once testing complete if it doesn’t pass, a ticket will be auto-filed and on-site support will be scheduled. So it doesn’t sound minor. Also, no major “features” or enhancements in this release.

NOTE: I did just have the inverter replaced on this powerwall last week because of a clipping issue. Can’t rule that out, but according to Tesla PW Support, this is systemic and unrelated to new inverter. So systemic, that the had a briefer bulletin internally on it today.

Anyone else seeing / experiencing similar?

@swedge my saga continues!
I have had a 50% loss the last few days. I reset the inverters and it goes back to normal. I am hoping my last reset gets back to normal tomorrow.

@YRide, I've been looking through my settings, where do you see the firmware of the individual Powerwalls? I see the gateway FW version, and each inverter FW version (if I connect to them directly), but I only see part and serial # for each Powerwall.
I’ve never looked at the FW for PW, so not sure. Actually, I haven’t directly connected to the inverters either. I’ve only watched the Gateway/TEG FW, which you pull from either the app or by direct connecting to the TEG.