Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spoiler edge raising fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I was having the issue that many were having with the Model 3 spoiler - the spoiler raising on the sides after install. Given that I installed this myself, I thought that I messed it up, but then realized that many folks were having the same issue. So what did I do? I did what any person on this forum (probably) would do - I swore, I tried to stick a little 3M tape in there, then ultimately said **** it, I am just going to buy the aftermarket RPM one when it comes out. So, I called Mark over at RPM (who answered the call on Sunday and was VERY nice and helpful) to see when his new OEM style was coming out. He informed me that Tesla puts WAY too much tape on the back of those spoilers, causing them to raise up. So, after chatting with him for a bit, here is what I did:

1. Removed the spoiler using fishing line
2. Removed all of the 3M tape that remained on the back of the spoiler
3. Removed the rest of the adhesive from the car
4. Bought the 1/2" 3M tape from Autozone and put a strip of it along the entire middle inside of the spoiler (and I trimmed out a few pieces for the ends (stopped about 1/4" from the edge of the spoiler)
5. Re-aligned the spoiler on the car using a tape measure and painter's tape
6. Installed the spoiler and put some painters tape on the edges overnight

The result: a flush spoiler without any lifting on the edges (see pictures)

Yes, it was a tedious task. But, the spoiler now looks great and I am happy that those edges aren't lifting.
Here is the before shot: IMG_9824.jpg

Here are the after shots: IMG_9858.jpg IMG_9859.jpg

And yes, the spoiler is sturdy and stuck on there just like before, albeit with less tape.

It's my understanding that there is only one part number. The "99" p/n I have read was a prototype p/n. Regardless, this was delivered less than two weeks ago, so it should be more recent. Tesla uses the 1" 3M tape on the back of the spoilers. One long a** piece going across the whole thing.

Reactions: KnoxEVfan
Shiieeet. I dont want to do this.
I JUST took delivery of my spoiler about an hour ago by the mobile service guy. Super nice, but didnt really go over the spoiler with me. It looked great from afar, but as soon as he left I took a closer look. boom. Raised edges. Not happy. So its not the CF spoiler, but the amount of 3m tape used? ugh...i dont want to do this...but I will probably have to give it a go as I cant stand the raised edges.
Thanks for putting this together. ;)

Shiieeet. I dont want to do this.
I JUST took delivery of my spoiler about an hour ago by the mobile service guy. Super nice, but didnt really go over the spoiler with me. It looked great from afar, but as soon as he left I took a closer look. boom. Raised edges. Not happy. So its not the CF spoiler, but the amount of 3m tape used? ugh...i dont want to do this...but I will probably have to give it a go as I cant stand the raised edges.
Thanks for putting this together. ;)
Have them come back and replace it. When they replace it, it takes some precision to get it to lay naturally flush. If it has to be forced down on one side, it will end up raising. Plus, they will bring a few spoilers with them and you can see which is best. Just my .02

• Helpful
Reactions: is2scooby
Hi everyone. I was having the issue that many were having with the Model 3 spoiler - the spoiler raising on the sides after install. Given that I installed this myself, I thought that I messed it up, but then realized that many folks were having the same issue. So what did I do? I did what any person on this forum (probably) would do - I swore, I tried to stick a little 3M tape in there, then ultimately said **** it, I am just going to buy the aftermarket RPM one when it comes out. So, I called Mark over at RPM (who answered the call on Sunday and was VERY nice and helpful) to see when his new OEM style was coming out. He informed me that Tesla puts WAY too much tape on the back of those spoilers, causing them to raise up. So, after chatting with him for a bit, here is what I did:

1. Removed the spoiler using fishing line
2. Removed all of the 3M tape that remained on the back of the spoiler
3. Removed the rest of the adhesive from the car
4. Bought the 1/2" 3M tape from Autozone and put a strip of it along the entire middle inside of the spoiler (and I trimmed out a few pieces for the ends (stopped about 1/4" from the edge of the spoiler)
5. Re-aligned the spoiler on the car using a tape measure and painter's tape
6. Installed the spoiler and put some painters tape on the edges overnight

The result: a flush spoiler without any lifting on the edges (see pictures)

Yes, it was a tedious task. But, the spoiler now looks great and I am happy that those edges aren't lifting.
Here is the before shot: View attachment 397074

Here are the after shots: View attachment 397075 View attachment 397083

And yes, the spoiler is sturdy and stuck on there just like before, albeit with less tape.
How's it holding up? Wife bought me an OEM spoiler from ebay for Christmas. Left side is perfect, right side is ridiculous. Not sure what to do.. gonna go pick up some 3M tape today & try to get that bit down, but I strongly suspect it'll lift again. Carbon fiber is carbon fiber - if it only has one purpose its to retain its shape. If this thing was any other material I'd be able to figure it out...

If my first attempt doesn't work, I'll try what you did & hopefully that works..