Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I repair this damage to my bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to remove my front lip so tesla would fix my wind noise. They appear to have fixed my wind noise and now I need to decide what to do with the bumper. As you can see I have black adhesive residue on the bumper. I assume I can use 3m remover or something similar to remove that. Is that what I would use on the unplugged performance lip to remove the rest of the tape? Then 3M VHB tape of like 1/2 inch is what I put on to reattach the front lip?

Then the big question, I was really debating taking off the PPF on the bumper first. I have sort of read that you just heat with a hair dryer and pull, Is it easy enough to get off without paint damage? Its massive damaged under where the front lip came off which I don't care about too much but its also been damaged since I got the car at 7 months on the top as well. And if I did do it, would it look really funny if the hood and fenders still have the PPF on them?

Attachments

• car front.jpg
    car front.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 221
Clean it up. Have new PPF put on. The front bumper is where you need it the most. Most places would charge around $700 to do the front bumper alone. Maybe less if you take it back to the same shop that did it for you first. Then apply everything else.

What was the fix for the wind noise, did they say?

• Helpful
Reactions: zoomer0056
Clean it up. Have new PPF put on. The front bumper is where you need it the most. Most places would charge around $700 to do the front bumper alone. Maybe less if you take it back to the same shop that did it for you first. Then apply everything else.

What was the fix for the wind noise, did they say?
No tan option its not overly expensive, but honestly more than I want to spend. I think I could probably get a place to it for 500, but that is more than Tesla gave after making me destroy it taking the lip off and I have better things to do with the money. It was something with the plastic around the windshield wipers is what they said for the wind noise.

I can't see the damage very well at all but if the PPF is damaged on the bumper then you can use a hair dryer to soften it a little and peel it off. It may screech somewhat during the peeloff but the paint underneath will not be damaged. Pull on it hard. Then clean up the bumper and clean the hood and they will both show the same. I had to have my hood recovered once and I assisted the installer in the removal of the PPF.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I'd say overnight if possible. At least a minimum of 6 hours. I'd spray it down, let it soak, come back after and hour or two spray again. Just before the second spray I'd gently brush. The brushing is to help loosen everything up and help the spray penetrate deeper. Don't brush so hard you could remove paint. You could try with a very stiff tooth brush as well.

Stuff ain't coming up, looks like I have to remove the PPF if I want it off the PPF, on the unplugged lip its not coming off either, its gummy, but its not coming up with the plastic razor.
You can go with more serious solvents but that would risk possibly hurting other things. Maybe try taking it to a body shop and see if they'll remove it for you cheaply.

Try isopropyl alcohol on the sticky tape. You can use a towel and hot water over the PPF. I replaced my MSLR hood PPF with hot water and towel. Do a small section at a time starting at a corner. Boil the water in a kettle, take it out to the garage and poor it over the towel. Just gotta make the PPF and it's glue soft. If there's some sticky stuff left, use the isopropyl alcohol. Be patient and pull parallel to the piece being removed, not perpendicular.