Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sport model. Can you really tell the difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"JoelG, has this discussion helped inspire you to buy a Roadster yet?" - Benji4

Well, although most of the recent comments are now related to standard vs performance mode rather than the the original topic haha, I gather from the feedback that for me, the base model with a suspension upgrade would be the best choice. The dealer is promoting the forged aluminum wheels as a very beneficial option, but I am not so sure about that one. This thread has helped me because if I get a Roadster, I can avoid paying a lot more for the Sport and still not feel like I perhaps made a mistake and have a way lesser car. Thanks.

No, if you charge in standard mode the cells are not charged as densly and power is reduced slightly even when driving in performance mode.

Does this mean that if you charge in performance mode and then drive in standard mode, you get better performance than if you both charged and drove in standard mode?

Or does charging in performance mode only help if you also drive in performance mode?

no - charging the battery in what mode ever has no real influence except in performance mode the batterie will be charged at a little higher voltage and allowing higher batterie temperature.
Also if you ran in performance mode, the system goes for higher battery temperature while it tries to keep the temperature of the PEM and the AC-Motor as cool as possible by employing the blowers to the max.- giving the system more time to heat both up, when you floor.

The dealer is promoting the forged aluminum wheels as a very beneficial option, but I am not so sure about that one.

Here is the shocking thing about the wheels -- if you upgrade when you buy the car, you pay the full price for the forged wheels ($2,600 in the US I think), and you don't get a set of cast wheels. But if you just buy the forged wheels later for the same $2,600, you get to keep your original set of cast wheels as well! So the smart money would start off with cast and just upgrade later if you think you need them. Anyway, other than the upgraded suspension, there is one other option you should probably get --- the infotainment system. If you don't get it, they stick you with a single-DIN dashboard which is pretty much impossible (at least cheaply) to upgrade later.

Have you tried tapping the battery on the "touchscreen"? This will select "Standard, Performance, or Max Range" This was a firmware update on my 2.0 Roadster last summer. I Can't remember the version number and my car is not available for me to check at the moment.
For those who haven't delved deeply into the 2.5 Sport manual, you can switch instantly to performance mode (and back) by twisting the ignition key clockwise.