TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Spotify not available - Speculation why?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ybbor, Jul 19, 2018.

?

Would you want Spotify or some other alternative to Slacker?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    90.5%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. ybbor

ybbor Member

I would really love to have a native Spotify client on my Model 3 (since I already have a premium spotify account with all my playlists). They have obviously built the integrated client because it's available on Tesla's in Europe.

Does anyone have a good idea why this would be?

I am assuming that Tesla and Slacker made some exclusive US deal when the Models S came out in 2012. This is more then 5 years ago now; would this deal last forever? How long do typical exclusive things like this work, or is there such a thing as typical? Are there any press releases from Tesla or Slacker over the past 6 years that I've missed that might give some insight? Has Elon ever responded to Slacker/Spotify questions?

thanks!

2. nexusone

nexusone Member

This is an old ask/gripe of many.

Ask Elon on Twitter. That seems to be the only way to get anything done.

3. ybbor

ybbor Member

Are there any Twitter power users with lots of followers that could ask Elon? He seems more likely to respond to more influential people (not me). Thanks!

4. kengchang

kengchang Member

Slacker probably have exclusive license deal with Tesla in the USA

5. ybbor

ybbor Member

I agree that's probably correct. I'm just wondering if Tesla or Slacker has ever made a public announcement or statement about their arrangement. It's been 6 years since the model S was released with Slacker; How long can this exclusive deal last?