Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If only the Model X had a 110 outlet (like Ford & Rivian).......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's why mom and I are interested in the electric GMC pickup that's coming out. (Also, brand loyalty. Our ICE GMC pickup has been very dependable.) We now have solar to use for essential things when the power goes out, but it would be good to have something else too just in case. Plus, I wanted to decorate our gate with holiday lights and having them plugged into a pickup would be fun. (I have a couple sets that are solar powered, but it would still be fun.)

After my first Tesla in 2012, I was spoiled. With no competitors to come along for many years, I was stuck with just buying new Tesla's for the next 10 years. They had my two "must have" items (Supercharging & Auto Pilot). Wouldn't buy any other EV if it didn't have those. The Auto Pilot one, I'm kind of over now. Didn't really use it much, plus most cars have some type of lane control for highways, which was about the only place I would use it.

10 years later, the Rivian came along. There's other threads about how it compares to the Model X. The Rivian is a different vehicle, but offers a lot. For the first year or so, it was also priced $50,000 less than a Tesla. I still love my Rivian. But, Tesla is still the best EV on the planet. Now, with the prices being dropped to unheard of levels, I am actually thinking about a Model X again.

The problem is, my Rivian has 110 outlets that I use the heck out of and have become one of my "Must Haves". It's such a huge convenience and really great in a power outage.

With Tesla being the most advanced EV, I'm a bit surprised they still haven't added it.

Supposedly the Cybertruck will have them, but that thing has too many deal breakers for me. The Model X still has a couple of deal breakers as well, but are things I "might" consider living with, if it had the 110 outlets and at its current price point.

The Rivian has no deal breakers for my personal use. And it would be tough to give up the many cool features it does have that the Tesla doesn't have. But, with the huge price drop, I can't stop thinking about it. Sadly, there's no way I'd give up my 110 outlets now that I've had them for over a year. So, the Rivian's place in the garage is safe for now. However, if Tesla were to add 110 outlets that put out at least as much power as the Rivian's outlets do, there's a good chance I'd reconsider.

For most of you, you don't miss what you never had. But, curious if any others would put that high on their priority list if given the option? The ability to power up essentials in a power outage, power worksites, power campsites or any other million things people come up with is just such an attractive feature.
Rivian has cool stuff, like a recall of over 80% of its vehicles and selling to customers in the periphery prior to making their vehicles available to city dwellers.

Oh, and I would lose unlimited supercharging, full self drive, unlimited Internet connectivity, unlimited streaming….

I can carry a small generator or battery backup. I don’t need a 110V outlet in my daily driver. That’s why I own several generators at home and at work and for off the grid adventures in my several HMMWV’s and Hummer.

What a silly reason not to purchase a car IMHO.

Rivian has cool stuff, like a recall of over 80% of its vehicles and selling to customers in the periphery prior to making their vehicles available to city dwellers.

Oh, and I would lose unlimited supercharging, full self drive, unlimited Internet connectivity, unlimited streaming….

I can carry a small generator or battery backup. I don’t need a 110V outlet in my daily driver. That’s why I own several generators at home and at work and for off the grid adventures in my several HMMWV’s and Hummer.

What a silly reason not to purchase a car IMHO.

And how many recalls on Teslas so far? I owned 4 different Teslas and all had 1 or more recalls.

And how many recalls on Teslas so far? I owned 4 different Teslas and all had 1 or more recalls.
My vehicle has not to my knowledge experienced significant recall, AND the Rivian recall of over 80% of its vehicles was unprecedented and a serious cause for concern.

I’m not spoiling for a fight, but seems you are and your mind is made up. Enjoy your 110 volt toy outlet. I prefer my P100D FSD FUSC and my Roadster. If I feel a need for an outlet I guess I’ll purchase a $500 LiPo power bank and continue to drive a superior and safer vehicle.

Good luck to you whatever you choose.

My vehicle has not to my knowledge experienced significant recall, AND the Rivian recall of over 80% of its vehicles was unprecedented and a serious cause for concern.

I’m not spoiling for a fight, but seems you are and your mind is made up. Enjoy your 110 volt toy outlet. I prefer my P100D FSD FUSC and my Roadster. If I feel a need for an outlet I guess I’ll purchase a $500 LiPo power bank and continue to drive a superior and safer vehicle.

Good luck to you whatever you choose.

The only recall on my Rivian was to change the back up light lens. Unprecedented and serious cause for concern? Absolutely not.

Meanwhile on your P100D, there's roughly six so far (if you have a 2019): https://www.cars.com/research/tesla-model_s-2019/recalls/

P.S. I had a 2019 Model S as well and don't remember half of those recalls.

Rivian has had major recalls over seat belt issues, air bag issues and a major mechanical issue in a knuckle.

Google is your friend/enemy. Just do a search.

Rivian recalled 12,000 out of of 14,000 total production for just one of the many major issues.

I think I’ll stick with Tesla.

Arguing with me won’t change the cold hard facts. Rivian is not yet a major or a dependable player. A 110 Volt outlet doesn’t make Rivian a top vehicle contender, at least not yet in 2023.

• Funny
Reactions: rpo
Rivian has had major recalls over seat belt issues, air bag issues and a major mechanical issue in a knuckle.
As an R1T owner I’ve been subject to 3 of those recalls. Each of the 3 were resolved by a visit from a mobile tech and the longest required a ½ hour visit. I also own a Model S and service-wise I’d put Rivian in the same category as Tesla.

After my first Tesla in 2012, I was spoiled. With no competitors to come along for many years, I was stuck with just buying new Tesla's for the next 10 years. They had my two "must have" items (Supercharging & Auto Pilot). Wouldn't buy any other EV if it didn't have those. The Auto Pilot one, I'm kind of over now. Didn't really use it much, plus most cars have some type of lane control for highways, which was about the only place I would use it.

10 years later, the Rivian came along. There's other threads about how it compares to the Model X. The Rivian is a different vehicle, but offers a lot. For the first year or so, it was also priced $50,000 less than a Tesla. I still love my Rivian. But, Tesla is still the best EV on the planet. Now, with the prices being dropped to unheard of levels, I am actually thinking about a Model X again.

The problem is, my Rivian has 110 outlets that I use the heck out of and have become one of my "Must Haves". It's such a huge convenience and really great in a power outage.

With Tesla being the most advanced EV, I'm a bit surprised they still haven't added it.

Supposedly the Cybertruck will have them, but that thing has too many deal breakers for me. The Model X still has a couple of deal breakers as well, but are things I "might" consider living with, if it had the 110 outlets and at its current price point.

The Rivian has no deal breakers for my personal use. And it would be tough to give up the many cool features it does have that the Tesla doesn't have. But, with the huge price drop, I can't stop thinking about it. Sadly, there's no way I'd give up my 110 outlets now that I've had them for over a year. So, the Rivian's place in the garage is safe for now. However, if Tesla were to add 110 outlets that put out at least as much power as the Rivian's outlets do, there's a good chance I'd reconsider.

For most of you, you don't miss what you never had. But, curious if any others would put that high on their priority list if given the option? The ability to power up essentials in a power outage, power worksites, power campsites or any other million things people come up with is just such an attractive feature.
My MX Raven Refresh Performance version had a 110vac near the lift gate inside—on the right if I remember correctly.

My '12 Volt had one outlet, ~60 watts, if I remember correctly. Didn't keep my '18 Volt long enough to remember if it had one or not. Traded for my '18 LR3 the same year.

I used the outlet once, maybe twice, for a slow cooker full of meatballs. I set it on "low", because I didn't trust it to not overload the circuit. In retrospect, food from my slow cooker set on "low" for any length of time, is too hot to eat without blowing on it, so I could have wrapped it with a towel (for insulation) and made that one hour trip in the winter without needing to plug it in. Plus, when has anyone arrived with food for a holiday and sat down to eat upon arrival? Never happened to me.

The 120V outlets were a big factor in why I got a Rivian in June after having driven only Teslas for 14 years.

But the joke's on me...my 120V outlets don't work, and I can't get a service appointment until November. Sigh.

Do Teslas support inverters now? Around 10 years ago Tesla warned us not to use them, but maybe things have changed.
You’re not missing much. The riv inverter starts to cycle when you’re within 200w of its max. At least in our R1S.

I’ve used 500-750w inverters on all of our teslas (attached directly to the 12v) over the years without issue, but was never one for warranty/obeying the manual. 🫣

The thought was, the aftermarket air compressors used in most 3/Y installs are 2x30a (or more) and they’re not complaining of constant dcdc faults or 12v issues

You’re not missing much. The riv inverter starts to cycle when you’re within 200w of its max. At least in our R1S.

I’ve used 500-750w inverters on all of our teslas (attached directly to the 12v) over the years without issue, but was never one for warranty/obeying the manual. 🫣

The thought was, the aftermarket air compressors used in most 3/Y installs are 2x30a (or more) and they’re not complaining of constant dcdc faults or 12v issues

Were any of those Teslas 16v?

which? The air compressor cars? Yes, lithium 16v. Operating ranges of /some/ 12v accessories allow voltage that high. Otherwise there are dcdc converters that will step it down, cheap too. Amazon is your friend. :)

Sorry, should have been more specific. I'm wondering if the vehicles were lithium 16v, since those batteries might(?) have less AH than the older AGM. On the other hand, 16v vs 12v does have it's advantages, if the accessory doesn't burn up. Every little bit helps.

I'm not interested in adding an inverter. But if it came with the vehicle, I'd be all over it.

Sorry, should have been more specific. I'm wondering if the vehicles were lithium 16v, since those batteries might(?) have less AH than the older AGM. On the other hand, 16v vs 12v does have it's advantages, if the accessory doesn't burn up. Every little bit helps.

I'm not interested in adding an inverter. But if it came with the vehicle, I'd be all over it.
The Ah of the low voltage battery is less of a concern. The oem dcdc converter handles keeping everything kosher.

I've been running a fridge and dual burner induction stove without issue in my R1S. The stove is occasionally pulling 100-200w over the inverter's rated max.