Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ cabin is way too dark at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't know how anyone else feel, but to me the cabin of SR+ is almost as dark as a grave when driving at night. I mean, it literally has no light sources on whatsoever except for the center screen and those extremely dim and tiny lights on wheel and window buttons.

I guess I'm used to my ICE cars with bright dashboard and backlit panels etc. They're not nearly as dark as SR+.

I could turn on passenger/driver ceiling lights etc but fear that they may be too bright for driving during the night. Any easy way to brighten up SR+ inside a little bit, so it wouldn't feel so dark and even lonely when driving it at night? I could try to make the screen brighter, I guess.

There are actually some additional ambient lights that are disabled because we have partial premium interiors. Two in the footwells, and one inside each door (pointed at the door pockets). They're fully wired, but disabled in software. I'm hoping we are given the ability to purchase software upgrades that unlock these lights.

There is a thread about a guy who has wired his own ambient lighting in his SR+ to replace those that are missing. Mod: adding Footwell ambient interior light to SR+ partial premium

My car is parked in a underground garage at my apartment and is like a cave when I get in. I have the premium interior and still feel like it isn’t enough lighting even with replacing footwell lights with abstract ocean ones that are 16x brighter.

I’m planning on tapping into center console compartment light to run a light behind the center screen facing down towards the phone storage section. Also am going to run a laser wire/ el wire across the dash in the vent indent and also run LEDs under each front seat for rear footwell lighting. I’m hoping that will give it enough light.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
There are actually some additional ambient lights that are disabled because we have partial premium interiors. Two in the footwells, and one inside each door (pointed at the door pockets). They're fully wired, but disabled in software. I'm hoping we are given the ability to purchase software upgrades that unlock these lights.

My understanding is that for 2020 cars the door pocket lights are physically gone.

• Informative
Just curious whether it's possible to use the USB slot to power the lights. That could make third party addon lights much easier to install.
Yea you definitely could. You could also use the many 12v cigarette lighter ambient lighting kits on amazon but I want it to look as stock as possible. If you really want to kit it out using 12v adapter with no splicing wiring, check out xkglow

My understanding is that for 2020 cars the door pocket lights are physically gone.

That is correct, had to take my front door off to fix a rattle on my 2020 SR+ and they are completely gone. Also the foglights are dummy lights. 3 lights make up the fog light, an orange sidemarker, a white accent light, and the foglight. only the orange side marker is actually in there. You can verify this by there only being 2 pins in the plug and no adjustment screw for the foglights.

• Informative
I like it. It's actually much nicer to not have the glare of bright lights in the dark.

My ancient Saab had a night mode button that turned off all the lights except maybe the speedometer? I think it made that dimmer. But it turned off all the other lights. It was great.

So the dim cabin might be on purpose. I like it personally, though.

Reactions: VQTRVA
I get that people want it dark when they are driving but don’t you ever go to grab something from a cubby, drop something on the floor, need to rummage in the back for something and just can’t see?

You can turn off the ambient lighting when you’re driving but when you actually need some light, your only option is the weak dome lights and your phone camera light. It seems better to have the option at least... that’s just me.

That is correct, had to take my front door off to fix a rattle on my 2020 SR+ and they are completely gone. Also the foglights are dummy lights. 3 lights make up the fog light, an orange sidemarker, a white accent light, and the foglight. only the orange side marker is actually in there. You can verify this by there only being 2 pins in the plug and no adjustment screw for the foglights.

Darn, I guess this drastically reduces the odds of Tesla coming out with a paid software upgrade package for those of us with SR+ built between March and when the 2020s came out.

But Elon did tweet yes to enabling the rear seat heaters for a price, so I wonder if the 2020s still have those.