Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR + First Road Trip - any tips ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's percentage scaling, so a percent increase of a small number isn't that much of an increase. Your examples of 50, 55, and 60 miles per hour seem like incredibly low speed limits for highway travel, from a United States Perspective. So for plotting distance routes, we would very rarely have numbers that low. So sure, 125% of that would be more reasonable. But a lot of the states in the western U.S. have 75 or 80 mile per hour speed limits, and I've seen people throw out that idea of using a 125% ratio, which yields 100 miles per hour (161 km per hour) and then they are shocked why the driving range estimate looks so short. So with highway speeds here, 1.1 ratio is a bit more normal for typical speeding behavior at higher speed limit highways.

And about the 70 speeding to 90 miles per hour? That is going pretty risky. Some people do it, but it is very likely to get an expensive ticket. There is a saying around people who know police officers that some officers even use themselves about their decision thresholds for levels of speeding:
"8, you're fine. 9, you're mine." So if you're about 9-10 miles per hour over the limit in a lot of places, that really increases the chances of getting ticketed.

Ya, I agree — this is why ABRP needs an offset instead of a percent. And Tesla needs a relative speed warning chime that I can customize more :) ... and maybe decouple it from the default cruise speed too while they are at it.

Grab a small box and put some cleaning supplies like windex glass cleaner, some micro fiber towels and a lite liquid touch up wax and keep these in the Fronk so that when you stop at a Supercharger you can clean your windshield and also get the bugs off the bumper and hood area.
I put my touch-up cleaning kit in that little niche in the left side of the trunk, microfibers, a bug rubbing sponge, bug remover, dilute ONR, Mother's ceramic, glass beader... YKMV your kit may vary.

I am also planning a long road trip - just over 10,000 km (Toronto to Calgary and back - via Seattle). I have a quick question - anybody tried the drive from Ft MacLeod, AB to Missoula, MT. It clocks in at 412 km. Not sure in my LR - AWD Model 3 can make this 'leg' on one charge.

I am also planning a long road trip - just over 10,000 km (Toronto to Calgary and back - via Seattle). I have a quick question - anybody tried the drive from Ft MacLeod, AB to Missoula, MT. It clocks in at 412 km. Not sure in my LR - AWD Model 3 can make this 'leg' on one charge.

"back" via Seattle? :) That sounds more like Toronto to Seattle and back, via Calgary :D ... coming through Vancouver I presume? (EDIT: Oh nevermind, looks like you are going AB to MT?)

The Supercharger landscape still looks pretty barren across the prairies. A CHAdeMO adapter would probably be your friend. Calgary to Vancouver to Seattle route would be no problem at all, lots of SCs.

EDIT: FWIW, ABRP says that drive from AB to MT is 90% if you have LR AWD on 19" and drive 110% of reference speed in warm temps.

When is the trip? Dropping temp from 20C to 0C makes max speed 90km/h to make it 95->2% :)
Upping the 20C speed from 110 to 120% makes your top speed 120km/h.

Last edited:
Leaving on September 23rd. The trip is actually to visit friends in Seattle, son in Calgary and then back. Would love to make the trip back in Canada but it is still not 'practical'. So the most logical route back from Calgary is south to Fort MacLeod then on to Missoula, MT. Just have some concerns about the distance between the two. I see there is a destination charger at a Ski Resort in Lakeside, MT but I would hate to be counting on that and find out that it was 'out of order' or even worse no longer in service.

Leaving on September 23rd. The trip is actually to visit friends in Seattle, son in Calgary and then back. Would love to make the trip back in Canada but it is still not 'practical'. So the most logical route back from Calgary is south to Fort MacLeod then on to Missoula, MT. Just have some concerns about the distance between the two. I see there is a destination charger at a Ski Resort in Lakeside, MT but I would hate to be counting on that and find out that it was 'out of order' or even worse no longer in service.

ABRP says Calgary <-> Seattle via 'Vancouver' (Hope, Kamloops, Revelstoke, Golden) is your best bet with ~1hr of Supercharging and 11hr driving.

I think that's your best bet. No long legs between SCs either.

Have you tried www.abetterrouteplanner.com ?

That is the route I am taking to get to Calgary.
I didn't feel like retracing my steps, unnecessarily, for the return leg. Hence, my choice to go Calgary - Fort MacLeod - Missoula. Just some concerns about the FM - Missoula leg.
And, yes I have planned my route using ABRP.

Oh maybe you are planning to go to Calgary from Seattle that way already?
(EDIT: I wrote this post before you posted above :))

ABRP says Calgary back east you need to stop and L2 charge at a FLO "Jaffray Pump and Pantry" for an hour and 7 minutes to get to Missoula from Ft. MacLeod

EDIT: Or drive 80km/hr from Ft Mac to Missoula

A better choice seems to be the Blacktail Mountain Ski Area @ Lakeside, Montana which has 3 Tesla connectors. My only concern is that since it is not a Tesla Supercharger - is it reliable?

What about Calgary -> Fort Mac -> Great Falls -> Butte (skipping Missoula entirely).

That says you need a 30min stop at a FLO in lethbridge to get to 100% right after Fort Mac though. I did set high speed and low temp though. 120% and 10C. If you go the speed limit it says you can do it with only SC stops (54 min of total charging) arriving 10% in Great Falls and 10% in Butte.

Just to close the loop on this, I did my first road trip (Toronto to Boston and back) in my SR+, thanks for the awesome and helpful tips you all provided. ABRP was spot-on estimating the charges required. I found Tesla suggestions to be little risky. using 125% ref speed on ABRP was an excellent suggestion by @darth_vad3r . It indeed helped !! Most of the supercharging location were in nice locations (with shopping centers near by) except Syracuse and Lee

I found Tesla suggestions to be little risky.

Yeah, for longer road trips I just use the in-car navigation to navigate between chargers picked by ABRP. I can see now why so many owners want waypoints in the navigation!

It would be great, with all these new Share to car features included in V10 to share an ABRP link and have the car navigate to each charger in turn...

• Love
Reactions: HG Wells
Remember that your on board computer will constantly be adjusting itself as you drive along your route. The stops you plan before you start may change as you travel.

It may notice you are experiencing heavy head or tail winds, that the road is wet or snow covered reducing range. If will predict ahead, depending on what you have experienced over the past miles and may change the Superchargers it recommends, or the time you will want to spend charging.

It may advise you to slow down, or if you notice your % of reserve is rising, you may wish to increase your speed.

You may notice your tire pressure has dropped as you enter cold areas, decreasing range. You may decide to either charge longer, stop more or simply add air. Pretty smart cookie.

Watching the display, you will become very aware that the driver is perhaps the greatest variable in the range you will get. An aggressive high speed driver will suffer range decreases, while a conservative driver will reap the range benefits of his actions.

Reactions: Rocky_H