Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staggered or Square Setup for MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a Model Y Long Range and planning to get 21" aftermarket wheels.

not sure if i should get a squared or staggered set up.

i will be lowering the vehicle with coilovers.

is there a benefit for either of the setups over the other?

thanks in advance for your advice and assistance.

Have a Model Y Long Range and planning to get 21" aftermarket wheels.

not sure if i should get a squared or staggered set up.

i will be lowering the vehicle with coilovers.

is there a benefit for either of the setups over the other?

thanks in advance for your advice and assistance.
***disclaimer, I'm not an expert***

+1 vote for squared 20"
  • 21" staggered if you don't mind spending $ on rear tires and want understeer
  • 21" squared if you want to save $ on tires and want less understeer
  • 20" staggered or squared if you want to save $ on tires compared to 21"

Reactions: fredzos
Have a MYP with the stock 21” staggered setup. Changed to 19” square for winter. Noticeable change in ride quality and slight range increase. The 21” will be more prone to pothole damage (yes bent the rims), but I’m in the NE and the roads are 💩. Also 21” staggered setup more prone to curb rash - tons of folks will attest to that.

Have a MYP with the stock 21” staggered setup. Changed to 19” square for winter. Noticeable change in ride quality and slight range increase. The 21” will be more prone to pothole damage (yes bent the rims), but I’m in the NE and the roads are 💩. Also 21” staggered setup more prone to curb rash - tons of folks will attest to that.
It’s not so much the 21” size of the wheel, but the smaller width of the tires. If you oversize the width by 20mm or so and reduce the ratio to match the outer diameter, I’m sure you’d get less curb rash too.

***disclaimer, I'm not an expert***

+1 vote for squared 20"
  • 21" staggered if you don't mind spending $ on rear tires and want understeer
  • 21" squared if you want to save $ on tires and want less understeer
  • 20" staggered or squared if you want to save $ on tires compared to 21"

thanks for the feedback.

currently googling "understeer" 🤦‍♀️

thanks for the feedback.

currently googling "understeer" 🤦‍♀️
Later down the line you will most likely ditch the 21" due to high cost of tires, not enough meat on the tires, bent rim due to pothole, overall harsher ride quality, and reduction to your range. As long as you are okay with this possibly then give it a try so that you don't feel like you shoulda-woulda-coulda.

Or skip the above headache and go with 19" (good blend between looks and performance) or 20".

If you're going to take the time\energy to rotate your wheels, then go with squared, you could always install spacers if you want to push the wheels outward for a more aggressive stance that the staggered setup will give you, but personally I don't like spacers.

My rule of thumb has always been that staggered setup on anything other than a RWD car is silly. That being said, my MYP on order will come with the staggered 21s and i'll just have to live with it. Staggered always looks better and meatier rear tires looks meaner from the back. Not being able to rotate a staggered setup as easily will factor into potential for more tire wear/cost.

thank you guys for the advice and recommendations.

i will try out the square set up with 20s first to see how it looks with the coilovers.

i can always upgrade later since i think 20s will be easier to sell over 21s.

Reactions: chobra

Attachments

• 20220730_182257.jpg
    20220730_182257.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 250
  • Love
Reactions: fredzos and chobra
thank you!

that looks great!

great height. decent fender gap and the wheels dont look too small with the right size tires.

in my mind, i thought the 20" wheels would look small on a model y...even with no fender gap