Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staggered Tires on Square setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all

Odd Question: I have the 20x9 T-Sportline TST on all 4 corners. Right now I have the Conti DWS06 in 245/40/20. I’m wondering if it’s possible to swap out the rears with 275/40/20 or 275/35/20 without going to a 20x10 rear staggered setup. I feel like since the tire is not stretched as it would be with a 10” wheel this may not be a good idea.

Oh the site their staggered setup is F20x9(245/40/20) and R20x10(275/40/20)

I will definitely stay “UHP” All Season And go with the same Conti or Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus.

Why would you do this? Just buy the tire that fits the wheel properly and stays near the overall diameter of the stock tires.
A 275/40 is about an inch more diameter than the 245/40.
It will look weird and provide no benefit to traction. Most likely it will just hurt your range. Plus you get the benefit of being able to rotate your tires with a square setup.

A 255/40/20 would be ideal for a 9" wide wheel, and the A/S 3+ comes in that size (same price as the 245).
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ll=Blackwall&partnum=54YR0PSAS3PLXL&tab=Sizes

Why would you do this? Just buy the tire that fits the wheel properly and stays near the overall diameter of the stock tires.
A 275/40 is about an inch more diameter than the 245/40.
It will look weird and provide no benefit to traction. Most likely it will just hurt your range. Plus you get the benefit of being able to rotate your tires with a square setup.

A 255/40/20 would be ideal for a 9" wide wheel, and the A/S 3+ comes in that size (same price as the 245).
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A/S+3++(W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated)&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=54YR0PSAS3PLXL&tab=Sizes
Tsportline pairs them like that. I bought the staggered combo and they came 245/40 and 275/40 for some reason. I asked and they never gave me a clear answer. Once the tires wore down I switched to 275/35 in the back. Much better look.

Tsportline pairs them like that. I bought the staggered combo and they came 245/40 and 275/40 for some reason. I asked and they never gave me a clear answer. Once the tires wore down I switched to 275/35 in the back. Much better look.

It looks like Tesla does the same thing with their staggered tire setups too.

Either way, the point is he has a square set up, all 4 wheels are 9", so running staggered tires is not really a good idea. 245-255 is the ideal size for 9" wide, up to 265 max. 275 it starts to get pinched. Just use a square set of tires on a square set of wheels and enjoy tire rotations that us staggered people don't get.

Either way, the point is he has a square set up, all 4 wheels are 9", so running staggered tires is not really a good idea. 245-255 is the ideal size for 9" wide, up to 265 max. 275 it starts to get pinched. Just use a square set of tires on a square set of wheels and enjoy tire rotations that us staggered people don't get.
True, but Tesla is 245 and 265. The 245/40 and 275/35 are within .1” instead of almost 1” taller in the back with 275/40

I got the staggered Tsportline TSS 20” in December and it killed my range compared to the 21” Tesla Twin Turbine. On our frequent trips to Orlando we got 440 Wh/mi compared to 353 Wh/mile on the 21”. I’m going to try a square setup instead to see if it is better.

I have a 2020 Performance Model S. I didn’t go 21 because there isn’t an all season in that size. I’m on a square setup and averaging 350 wh/mi over 3000 freeway miles(I drive 75-80). I bought square because I didn’t think I wanted to go staggered. Buying a wider wheel will set me back 2K if I stick with these wheels. At that price I may as well search for another set and offload these. 275/35/20 looks like a good fit and is perfectly fine for a 9” wheel according to manufacturer’s specs. I was simply wondering if there are any I’ll effects with a staggered tire on a square wheel setup. Also is there any chance of rubbing with the 20x9 +35 with 275/35/20. I believe I will get a bit better traction on launch. I can hear my current rear wheels slipping

If wondering I need an all reason because I’m 60 miles north of Los Angeles and 2K+ feet higher in elevation so while it’s sunny in LA it’s possibly snowing at my house. I don’t want to run a summer tire in this scenario and don’t want to switch tires for 3 months. I’m already yelled at for storing my stock wheels and tires at home lol

Can you expand a bit on why it’s not a good idea to run staggered on a square setup. That’s my initial question. Is this a recommendation or are there scenarios where this causes any mechanical problems? Thanks for your reply

Both sizes you listed for that tire do "fit" a 9" wheel but it is not optimal. They will not perform as well as a 255 which is a perfect fit.

Page 2 and 3 of this article will help explain. At the bottom of page 2 is an example of exactly what you're trying to do. 275/40 on a 9" wheel - How to PROPERLY select and size TIRES for PERFORMANCE - Page 2 of 5 - MotoIQ

I hope this helps a bit. You won't gain anything from going bigger in the rear. Your 0-60 times won't improve. Only stickier tires will help with that. You'll waste money, wont be able to rotate your tires (more money wasted), and it will look bad.

P100D on 245 width all-season tires:
Tesla Model S P100D does 0-60 in 2.5 s, quarter-mile in the 10s

Both sizes you listed for that tire do "fit" a 9" wheel but it is not optimal. They will not perform as well as a 255 which is a perfect fit.

Page 2 and 3 of this article will help explain. At the bottom of page 2 is an example of exactly what you're trying to do. 275/40 on a 9" wheel - How to PROPERLY select and size TIRES for PERFORMANCE - Page 2 of 5 - MotoIQ

I hope this helps a bit. You won't gain anything from going bigger in the rear. Your 0-60 times won't improve. Only stickier tires will help with that. You'll waste money, wont be able to rotate your tires (more money wasted), and it will look bad.

P100D on 245 width all-season tires:
Tesla Model S P100D does 0-60 in 2.5 s, quarter-mile in the 10s

Got it. Will 255 fit the front as well. I haven’t gotten under the car to check clearances but will this weekend.

Got it. Will 255 fit the front as well. I haven’t gotten under the car to check clearances but will this weekend.

In the front I'm running a 20x9 +27 with a 245 and it doesn't rub anything, and I'm on Unplugged lowering brackets. You should be fine with a 20x9 +35 and 255s. Your wheels get 8mm more clearance on the outside compared to mine, and the 255 technically adds 10mm over a 245, 5mm on each side.

Reactions: derichio02