Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Interior+ No carpet floormats or Frunk mat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, the stock floor / frunk mats are terrible anyways. I was going to throw them away, but decided it's best to put them back in, all brand new like, when I sell the car.

It funny you mention that. My thinking used to be the same. I recently found a full set of brand new Honda Civic mats in the basement from 10 years ago. Sold the car with the Weathertechs. Completely forgot about saving the stock mats.
I also have the new stock mats for our Escape that were replaced with Weathertechs. I'll try not to forget them when it get sold!

Reactions: Glamisduner
It funny you mention that. My thinking used to be the same. I recently found a full set of brand new Honda Civic mats in the basement from 10 years ago. Sold the car with the Weathertechs. Completely forgot about saving the stock mats.
I also have the new stock mats for our Escape that were replaced with Weathertechs. I'll try not to forget them when it get sold!
You can usually resell the weather-techs too.

Reactions: 03DSG
Interesting, the stock floor / frunk mats are terrible anyways. I was going to throw them away, but decided it's best to put them back in, all brand new like, when I sell the car.

Maybe it's the type of material they used but the stock floor mats almost always look dirty and messy. Night and day difference compared to my Mercedes' floor mats. It always looked clean by somehow keeping it's form and trapping the dirt inside of it.

I'm thinking of taking the opposite approach and letting the OEM mats wear out before buying some higher quality upholstered mats. There should be more aftermarket options available by then.

I'm thinking of taking the opposite approach and letting the OEM mats wear out before buying some higher quality upholstered mats. There should be more aftermarket options available by then.
I should have clarified, I think the stock mats are poor in terms of actually protecting the carpet, staying in place, and looks. I don't think they will wear out exceptionally fast. Also it depends on where you live and what your protecting against.

Don't throw them away. Maybe give away. That is what I did with mine. Many owners here would love to have them.

@TEG :cool:

Reactions: Glamisduner
I total get not including the interior mats, they are an extra, but wait even $35K is supposed to be a premium car... but I digress

But the frunk, is unfinished, the tow hock in the floor. This is inappropriate, for either the STD or the STD+

And if you are willing to wait, for 2K you get the Y, with full premium etc.

I love Tesla, but some times...
What are everyone's thoughts on the Tesla Weather-tech mats, or what are other good / better mats

Has anyone installed all weather frunk mat or lower trunk storage mat into SR/SR+? Existing options don't seem to work on the bare plastic SR frunk.

I tried https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D61X9B9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but it comes with back side mat anchors. The lower storage mat also has anchors, which look weird. Does Premium interior comes with a better equipped storage?

Tesla Model 3 2018-2019 - Frunk MAXpider Cargo Mat [Covers Frunk, Black] MAX229833 also mentions:
MAXpider's patented bottom layer's anti-skid technology prevents it from shifting - keeping you and your passengers safe from any mat-moving accidents without damaging your interior's original carpet.​

IKEA sells door mats for $1.49. Think of this before you pay over $50 for a frunk mat. A sheet of black plastic the size of a door mat doesn't cost a lot to manufacture.

Raw material isn't the main factor in determining cost. It's machine tooling or CNC equipment time.

Just to give you an idea how expensive tooling is. My company makes small power supplies, they go in plastic cases which are fairly simple rectangular shaped cases, maybe 3 inches by 6 inches by 2 inches. Hard tooling (long term use) is typically $20,000 or more. That's just for manufacturing a dinky little plastic case.

You can't compare something IKEA mass produces, and can sell to anyone, anywhere in the world, to a car mat that fits one specific car model, that right now has only sold a few hundred thousand units, predominantly in the US.

Raw material isn't the main factor in determining cost. It's machine tooling or CNC equipment time.

Just to give you an idea how expensive tooling is. My company makes small power supplies, they go in plastic cases which are fairly simple rectangular shaped cases, maybe 3 inches by 6 inches by 2 inches. Hard tooling (long term use) is typically $20,000 or more. That's just for manufacturing a dinky little plastic case.

You can't compare something IKEA mass produces, and can sell to anyone, anywhere in the world, to a car mat that fits one specific car model, that right now has only sold a few hundred thousand units, predominantly in the US.

I consider this the best response to my post because you got into specifics about up-front costs of hard tooling. I was actually thinking about these things too. And what others said about me being cheap is true in some ways but I like to think my cheapness is like Toyota's cheapness when they squeeze pennies of waste out of their supply chains as a path to market leadership and as a service to their customers.

Here is what I was also thinking: a quality product sold at a market leading price can pencil out for the seller and save buyers significant money if it achieves sufficient scale. Imagine a family owned East Asian factory that was already paid for by prior manufacturing and they pretty much just need to make a new mold for their Tesla customers. They can sell product on eBay and Amazon through their first generation Asian-American friends using garages in California as distributions warehouses. If they set aside just $10 from each sale they could pay for $20k in tooling costs by selling product to less than 1% of the first 300,000 Model 3 car owners ($10 x 3000 mats = $30k). And if they sold a quality product at a market leading price the smart resourceful Tesla owners could spread those links on forums like wildfire in California. And don't forget about Gigafactory 3 in China. That will create a whole new batch of customers.

Why pay $95 for those carpet mats when you could pay more for mats that are actually great? I mean, for OEM mats they're not terrible, but ... If I could have saved $130 by not receiving the stock mats with my car, I would have. After all, I was going to buy better mats anyways... ~$200 for the Tux Mat front/rear mats and then I bought the Tesla-branded weathertech mats for frunk/trunk since TuxMat didn't have theirs yet. The weathertechs are fine for the frunk/trunk but the TuxMat are way better IMHO for the interior.