Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard range versus long range battery kilowatts per mile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Standard range versus long range battery kilowatts per mile. Does anyone know if there’s a big difference between how much energy the long range model three uses versus the standard range? It has dual motors so I know it must use more energy, but I don’t know how much. Thanks

Standard range versus long range battery kilowatts per mile. Does anyone know if there’s a big difference between how much energy the long range model three uses versus the standard range? It has dual motors so I know it must use more energy, but I don’t know how much. Thanks

SR is slightly more efficient (2-3%?) than the RWD which is 8-9% more efficient than the AWD which is 4-5% more efficient than the AWD with 19" wheels which is 5-8% more efficient or so than the 20" wheels.

Thanks, but now more confused.

I think he was describing that the only thing that is going to reduce efficiency is weight and wheels. The RWD just has a bigger battery, so it is slightly less efficient than the SR+ due to the extra battery weight. the AWD has a bigger battery and an extra motor, so it is less efficient than both. Then when you add bigger wheels to the AWD, that also drops efficiency a little bit more.

Reactions: Matsayz
I think he was describing that the only thing that is going to reduce efficiency is weight and wheels. The RWD just has a bigger battery, so it is slightly less efficient than the SR+ due to the extra battery weight. the AWD has a bigger battery and an extra motor, so it is less efficient than both. Then when you add bigger wheels to the AWD, that also drops efficiency a little bit more.

yes

Also consider the type of driving. Weight only matters during acceleration/deceleration or when elevation is changing. Flat freeway driving would be a bit closer in efficiency than city driving. AWD likely has a bit of added mechanical drag from the front drivetrain that would degrade efficiency under all conditions. SR vs. old LR RWD efficiency for a long light-traffic freeway commute might be very close.

Here’s a small sample of real world numbers from the last year in the UK. Temperatures typically between 5-25 Celsius

Average Wh/mi since owning?

Main differences seem to be:
  • Weight of the LR
  • Driving performance (LR can can accelerate quicker)
The factors below you probably already know but won’t be affected by which model you have. In no particular order:
  • Air Temperature
  • Cabin Temperature
  • Rain
  • Highway speeds
  • Tyre pressure
  • Aero caps on/off
  • Passengers/luggage/load