Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink: Modifications, Ideas, and Concepts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I would like to propose to the forum admins that a SpaceX subforum named Starlink might be in order. Maybe even a top level forum with subforums for "installation", "experience", "mods".

Anyway, my question is best method to extend the vertical pole that extends from the Long Wall Mount (Starlink)...

1657032763918.png

I put a micrometer on it and it seems to be pretty close to 1.5" OD (outer diameter). My simple effort was going to be a Lowe's trip for some 1.25" rigid conduit (which has an actual OD of 1.6") and an 1.25" coupler or two. Likely just cut the Starlink vertical pole in half and insert my extension. I need an additional 24".

I'm not opposed to purchasing the Ground Pole Mount if the upper portion could be used for this need, but it appears to be a LOT thicker pole...

1657033768374.png

... likely to account for the additional length to maintain rigidity.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Well, I completed this project. Wasn't as easy or clean as I'd hoped it would be... what "custom" effort usually is?

I ended up using electrical conduit... 1 1/4" EMT. This is very likely the basis for the Starlink tubing... it is darn near perfectly the same OD. They don't make internal coupling for EMT (for obvious reasons), so I had to dig around in my shop for something appropriate. It turns out that 1" PEX is a near perfect OD fit for the EMT ID. This is important as the Starlink mount requires a male connection and won't work with any "external" type coupler.

Anyway, a few set screws, some paint roughly the color of my fascia trim and some extra support to account for the longer vertical reach...

Starlink-Dish.jpg